Dundee 1
Raith Rovers 2
Scottish Cup (Quarter-Final)

1 - 2
Raith Rovers 

Scottish Cup (Quarter-Final)
Saturday, March 13th, 2010
Dens Park
Attendance: 7,306
3:00 PM Kick-off

Craig Forsyth (73)
Stephen Simmons (3)
Laurie Ellis (10)

Team Managers
Jocky Scott
John McGlynn

Starting Eleven
1. Robert Douglas
2. Eric Paton
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Jim Laughlan
5. Eddie Malone
6. Gary Harkins
7. Brian Kerr
8. Richie Hart
9. Craig Forsyth
10. Leigh Griffiths
11. Sean Higgins
David McGurn .1
Laurie Ellis .2
Dougie Hill .3
Grant Murray .4
Thierry Gathuessi .5
Stephen Simmons .6
Allan Walke .7
Iain Williamson .8
Graham Weir .9
Johnny Russell .10
Grégory Tadé .11

12. Derek Soutar
14. Bob Malcolm
15. Andrew Shinnie
16. Pat Clarke
17. Colin McMenamin
Gary O'Connor .12
Robert Sloan .14
Darren Smith .15
Mark Ferry .16
Dene Shields .17

Colin McMenamin for Richie Hart (62)
Pat Clarke for Sean Higgins (84)
Andrew Shinnie for Jim Laughlan (89)
Darren Smith for Johnny Russell (67)
Mark Ferry for Dougie Hall (85)
Dene Shields for Graham Weir (87)

Leigh Griffiths (45)
Gary Mackenzie (89)
Thierry Gathuessi (53)
Laurie Ellis (84)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Charlie Richmond (Referee)
Lawrence Kerrigan & Billy Baxter (Assistants)
Scott MacDonald (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Jocky Scott made two changes from last week, with Higgins and Hart coming in for Hutchinson and Shinnie. New signing Bob Malcolm was on the bench, but the defence, which had such an erratic time last week, was unchanged. Harkins was playing at the front of a midfield diamond, with Forsyth moving back to a left midfield role after last week's experiment in the centre.

Last week the Dundee defence had a nightmare 15 minutes after half time. This week the horror show was right at the start of the match when dreadful defending allowed Raith to race into a two goal lead they never looked in great danger of surrendering.

Rovers kicked off, attacking down the hill towards the Bob Shankly Stand, almost brim full of their supporters. Dundee hadn't even ventured out of their own half before they were a goal down after two minutes. A long throw from the left was headed on to Simmons 15 yards out, and his low first time shot sailed through a crowd of players and inside Douglas's right hand post.

Dundee responded well and Harkins released Griffiths down the right with a fine long pass. Griffiths took the ball in his stride but his shot lacked the power to beat McGum. Dundee kept up the pressure and should have equalised when Malone fired in a good cross from the left. Harkins got in front of his marker, but his header from eight yards was too close to the keeper when the goal was gaping.

Rovers punished Dundee for these misses with a hammer blow of a second goal after nine minutes. Walker drove a free kick from deep on the right towards the near post. No-one had picked up Ellis's run and he was unmarked as he headed powerfully past Douglas.

Dundee were shaken, and could have conceded a third just two minutes later when Raith broke from defence. Williamson raced away from Lauchlan down the left, but with the home defence wide open he couldn't find a team-mate with his cut-back.

Dundee gradually pulled themselves together and most of the play was in the Rovers' half, but there was little cohesion about their game. Richie Hart had a piledriver free kick from 30 yards tipped over the bar by McGurm. The keeper again had a good save from Hart's 20 yard shot after one of the few incisive moves from Dundee. Raith did get the ball into the net one more time when Weir flicked the ball past Douglas after a free kick was half cleared and played back in, but the linesman's flag was up before he shot.

Dundee's attempts to get back into the game were repeatedly thwarted by misplaced passes, and nervous mistakes. Not surprisingly the half time whistle was met with disappointed boos from the home fans and confident cheers from the away stand.

The Dundee players were back out after no more than 11 minutes at half time, and had to wait a further three minutes for the Raith team and the referee. Any hopes that this signalled a determined fightback quickly evaporated. The midfield was incapable of keeping possession and forcing Rovers onto the back foot and yet again the service to the strikers was poor.

Rovers were concentrating on holding what they had, and coped well with a succession of attacks that relied more on optimism than conviction. The eager Rovers' players were playing an adrenalin fuelled pressing game that saw Dundee players repeatedly hounded by two or three red shirts whenever they had the ball. No matter where the ball went, Rovers got men there in strength to protect their goal.

Dundee saw plenty of the ball, but couldn't retain possession, and created few chances. Forsyth forced a good save from McGurn with a hurried shot under pressure from 12 yards, and Gary MacKenzie saw a header from a comer cleared off the line. but there seemed little belief from the home team that they could rescue themselves this time.

Just as it was looking as if Dundee would slip out of the cup with barely a fight they pulled a goal back on 73 minutes.

Harkins showed great skill to beat two men on the right, and his cross to the far post found Forsyth running in to head the ball back across the keeper.

Last week the first goal gave the players a huge boost and transformed the game. It didn't work this time. Raith survived the remainder of the match without too much trouble. The game was almost entirely in the Rovers half, and Dundee had incessant pressure, but they couldn't create a single real chance for all their desperation.

Dundee threw away a great opportunity today and let the fans down badly. Rovers were given a massive boost by the two ridiculously easy early goals, and their players called on their deepest reserves of strength and energy to play a game that will surely have left them too exhausted to celebrate wildly tonight. Dundee have nothing to complain about. They gave themselves a huge handicap at the start, and simply lacked the teamwork, mental strength and quality to get out of the hole they dug for themselves. The supporters deserve better, and the players should reflect on that.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at March 13th, 2010)

2009-10 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)37 18 - 189 -
Jim Laughlan33 29 - 46 -
Gary Mackenzie24 2811102
Eddie Malone24 3521014
Eric Paton31 351695
Craig Forsyth21 316356
Gary Harkins25 34153415
Richie Hart31 25 - 25 -
Brian Kerr28 331331
Leigh Griffiths19 33193319
Sean Higgins25 215215
Andrew Shinnie (sub)20 4 - 251
Colin McMenamin (sub)29 3277621
Pat Clarke (sub)24 201201

League Table (as at March 13th, 2010)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Today we have the luxury of not worrying about league points.

However, before I talk about today's game I need to say something about last week's league game against Inverness Caley Thistle. We were very disappointed at going down 2-0 early in the second half, not playing particularly well, looking dead and buried, but the players and the fans must be complimented on what happened in the last twenty minutes.

As soon as we scored there was a different atmosphere in the stadium with the fans getting right behind the team and the players responding. We need more of the same attitude today.

Raith Rovers F.C. are our opponents today and they thoroughly deserved their victory over Aberdeen in the last round. John McGlynn and his coaching staff have done a great job with the team and we know that to overcome them we will have to be at our best.

As I said earlier we need your backing to help us reach the standard of play we achieved in the last twenty minutes last week.

Enjoy the game!