Dundee 0
Kilmarnock 0
League (Premier League)

0 - 0

League (Premier League)
Wednesday, January 26th, 2000
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,201
7:45 PM Kick-off

None. None.

Team Managers
Jocky Scott
Bobby Williamson

Starting Eleven
1. Robert Douglas
34. Craig Ireland
2. Barry Smith
5. Steven Tweed
20. Lee Wilkie
7. Steven Boyack
12. Shaun McSkimming
8. Gavin Rae
9. Eddie Annand
35. Nicky Banger
11. Willie Falconer
Colin Meldrum .12
Gus MacPherson .2
Frederic Dindeleux .17
Sean Hessey .18
Martin Baker .16
Gary Holt .8
Alan Mahood .14
Mark Reilly .7
Ian Durrant. 10
Christophe Cocard .6
Andy Smith .33

13. Jamie Langfield
15. Lee Sharp
17. Frank van Eijs
19. Patrizio Billio
22. Graham Bayne
Gordon Marshall .1
David Bagan .33
Peter Canero .31
Michael Jeffrey .4
Tosh McKinlay .34

Graham Bayne for Willie Falconer
Patrizio Billio for Gavin Rae
Tosh McKinlay for Cocard (75)
Jeffrey for Mahood (77)

Nicky Banger (43)
Nicky Banger (52)

Red Cards
Nicky Banger (52)
Match Officials

M. A. Clark (Referee)
J. Love & B. W. McDuffie (Assistants)
I. S. Elmslie (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Nicky Banger's second sending off in only two starts for Dundee saw an otherwise uneventful Dens Park encounter between the SPL's second and third bottom sides explode into controversy.

Dismissed for taking a kick at Michael Doesburg on his debut back in November, the Englishman was last night shown first yellow, then red by referee Jim Fleming for two highly questionable bookings.

The first in 43 minutes came when he was struck by an Ian Durrant free-kick as it sped towards his face and he was adjudged to have handled the ball.

If he had cause for complaint at that one, though, the next, nine minutes later, was even more infuriating.

Banger went down at the feet of Gus MacPherson in what appeared to be a clear foul but, to the amazement of one and all, Fleming blew for a foul against the Dundee player and gave him a second booking for diving.

The Dark Blues players argued in vain that he had done nothing of the sort but the official was unmoved. Irate at what he saw as a clear injustice, Banger had to be persuaded to leave the pitch by his team-mates and assistant manager Jimmy Bone.

The drama was not over for, as he trudged towards the tunnel, he reacted to the jeers of the crowd with what appeared to be an offensive gesture.

Then, having briefly vanished from view, he reappeared, clad in a tracksuit and made his way back to the Dundee dugout.

The fourth official was having none of it, though, and promptly told him he would have to return from where he came.

Dark Blues manager Jocky Scott said, "I am saying nothing at all about Nicky's dismissal for, if I do so, I will only get myself into trouble.

"We did react very well to it, however, and, in the circumstances, I have to be pleased with the point. If we carry on playing like that we should be alright-the spirit was very good."

It all looked like going so differently early on with the home side getting off to a good start. Willie Falconer was making his 50th league appearance for the Dens side and Shaun McSkimming almost gave him extra cause to celebrate when he scampered down the left wing and sent a high cross in his team mate's direction.

Killie debutant Sean Hessey was alive to the danger, though, and did just enough to put the big striker off.

Steven Boyack, switched with Pat Billio who was dropped down to the subs bench, also looked lively early on and won warm applause from the home crowd when he cleverly played his way out of trouble when under pressure in midfield.

Barry Smith, somewhat surprisingly, was the next to catch the eye offensively when he ran on to Banger's through ball to beat the offside trap.

For a second it looked as if he would drive forward and shoot, but he thought better of it and instead swtiched the ball back to Boyack and the move fizzled out.

As the game wore on, however, the visitors came more and more into it.

Ian Durrant shot over following good work by Christophe Cocard and Alan Mahood sent a fierce shot into the side netting.

Then, with just a couple of minutes remaining, they came as close as possible to taking the lead.

Durrant's corner was headed powerfully past Robert Douglas by Martin Baker, Smith, standing on the goal-line, somehow managed to stick out an ankle to stop the ball hitting the net.

The Killie players, and Baker in particular, felt it had crossed the line and appealed for a goal but the linesman gave no support to the claim and the chance was gone.

It was a let-off Douglas would have appreciated, especially given his mistake against Hearts at the weekend.

He had no chance to relax, though, for Killie were to force him in to repeated saves either side of the break.

Strangely Banger's dismissal did little to help the visitors. If anything it broke up their fluency with Dundee digging in to try to make sure they took at least a point.

Scott replaced Falconer with Graham Bayne late on in a bid to snatch all three.

The 20-year-old looked lively and went close with a header from a Smith cross but a winning goal turned out to be too much to hope for.

Match report written by The Courier

Squad Statistics (as at January 26th, 2000)

1999-00 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)27 22 - 103 -
Craig Ireland24 7171
Barry Smith25 19 - 1611
Steven Tweed27 221332
Lee Wilkie19 10 - 10 -
Steven Boyack23 223305
Shaun McSkimming29 192807
Gavin Rae22 222865
Eddie Annand26 1939729
Nicky Banger27 6 - 6 -
Willie Falconer33 20115515
Patrizio Billio (sub)25 9 - 9 -
Graham Bayne (sub)20 5 - 11 -

League Table (as at January 26th, 2000)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

First of all, I would like to welcome everyone back to the start of the second half of the season at Dens Park. It is a long time since our last home fixture and I trust that everybody had a highly enjoyable Christmas and New Year break.

We signed off before the winter break with a battling performance against St Johnstone which saw us come from behind to earn a point.

Those will again be the qualities which we will require to be in evidence for the rest of the season.

The players have been set targets for the second half of the campaign which basically are to gain more points, well as scoring more goals, and conceding less goals than we did before the break.

In other words, we are looking for an all round improvement upon what we achieved in the first half of the season.

Through a combination of international matches and games being called off, the opening half of the season was severely disrupted. and hopefully, the remainder of the campaign will not be subject to as much interruption.

Unlike last season, we elected to have a break away in the sunshine by going to Cyprus. Certainly we managed to get a lot of training and coaching done in much better conditions: than we could ever hope to encounter back home at this time of year, But only results over the next few months will determine whether this was a worthwhile exercise. One benefit the break has brought is an easing to the list of injured players.

Shaun McSkimming is back after surgery: Robbie Raeside is back to full fitness; Nicky Banger though still nursing his injury, is able to play, though still lacking match fitness; Willie Miller is back in training and should get an Under-21 game next week. That leaves only Lee

Maddison out of the reckoning. And with so many games coming up we require every available body!

Whilst we didn't restart in the way we I would all have hoped at Tynecastle last Saturday, I wasn't totally disappointed with the performance. Our work rate was good, but we didn't get too many breaks and only lost our game because we lost two crazy goals.

The clear message that we must take from that game is to avoid conceding those kind of goals in the future.

Tonight's match against Kilmarnock is obviously a very difficult and important one which both teams will be highly anxious to win.

From our point of view, victory would extend our lead over them, whilst Bobby Williamson's men will be all out to close the points differential.

Certainly, our earlier meeting in the season at Rugby Park saw us earn an excellent victory at the end of a very good and competitive encounter between two sides going all out for victory.

Given the circumstances which prevail this evening, there is no reason to suggest that things should be any different this evening.