Dundee 1
Aberdeen 3
League (Premier League)

1 - 3

League (Premier League)
Wednesday, February 23rd, 2000
Pittodrie Stadium
Attendance: 5,784
7:30 PM Kick-off

Graham Bayne (87)
Andy Dow (48)
Arild Stavrum (55)
Paul Bernard (65)

Team Managers
Jocky Scott
Ebbe Skovdahl

Starting Eleven
13. Jamie Langfield
4. Willie Miller
2. Barry Smith
5. Steven Tweed
20. Lee Wilkie
7. Steven Boyack
12. Shaun McSkimming
8. Gavin Rae
14. Hugh Robertson
11. Willie Falconer
10. James Grady
Jim Leighton .1
Russell Anderson .15
Thomas Solberg .5
Derek Whyte .3
Cato Guntveit .26
Paul Bernard .14
Kevin Rutkiewicz .37
Jamie McAllister .30
Andy Dow .12
Robbie Winters .9
Arild Stavrum .46

27. Derek Soutar
15. Lee Sharp
9. Eddie Annand
35. Nicky Banger
22. Graham Bayne
Ryan Esson .23
Mark Perry .2
Chris Clark .34
Rachid Belabed .43
Andreas Mayer .10

Nicky Banger for Hugh Robertson
Eddie Annand for Nicky Banger
Graham Bayne for James Grady
Clark for Rutkiewicz (75)
Belabed for Winters (79)
Mayer for Stavrum (90)

Steven Tweed
Lee Wilkie
Kevin Rutkiewicz

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Mike McCurry (Referee)
N. Brand & R. K. Cobb (Assistants)

Match Report

A devastating three-goal blitz inside 12 minutes ended Dundee's interest in this East Coast encounter at Dens Park last night edging the Dark Blues ever closer to the relegation trapdoor.

Four points ahead of Aberdeen and of Kilmarnock, the Dark Blues still boast a clear advantage over their rivals at the foot of the SPL table as the final third of the league campaign approaches.

However, for as long as the miserable run which has seen Dundee fail to win at home since the end of October continues, they can ill afford to take their place in the top flight next season for granted.

Not, anyway, at a time when their nearest rivals show ever more signs of life and the Old Firm lie in wait in the next two games.

Champions Rangers arrive on Sunday and a hazardous trip to Celtic Park follows three days later.

The latest reverse was comprehensive but it was impossible not to feel sympathy for manager Jocky Scott and his players. Denied a decent penalty claim in the 10th minute when James Grady was upended by Jim Leighton as he raced on to a through ball from Barry Smith, Dundee hit the post through Willie Falconer's header and had numerous efforts hacked off the Aberdeen line.

"I felt it was a stonewall pen," said Grady, limping on crutches to protect a knee injury which he fears could turn out to be ligament damage.

"It didn't go our way tonight but hopefully things will even themselves out over the next few weeks. I still have every confidence that we can remain in the division."

Scott clearly shares this belief but he made no attempt to disguise his unease at the manner at which the game had escaped his side.

"We gave the goals away very easily," he said, adding that he would like to see the incident involving Grady on the television.

"The ironic thing though is that we created more chances tonight than we did in the last three or four games here but did not put them away."

The manager could not and would not say it but Dundee's agonies did not end with the penalty denied them or their many near things-they were forced to watch their opponents build their success on a goal which had more than a touch of fortune to it.

Andy Dow, drifting into the back of the penalty box, was unmarked as he latched on to Cato Guntveit's deep cross from wide on the right.

The former Dundee man made a hash of his volley, getting right over the ball to drive it into the ground.

However, to the agony of Jamie Langfield, standing in for the injured Scotland squad man Robert Douglas, it then ballooned up and over his out stretched fingertips.

For a second it looked as if Smith would come to the rescue but his header went up and into the net.

From there, Aberdeen never looked back with Robbie Winters cashing in on some slack play by Steven Boyack and Lee Wilkie in the 55th minute to sprint down the right and tee up Arild Stavrum for a carbon copy of the goal which finished Dundee United at Dens in the CIS Insurance Cup semi final.

Five minutes later it was three, Paul Bernard drilling a low shot through a ruck of bodies after the defence had failed to adequately clear a Winters corner.

Graham Bayne's first goal for the home side, from a Falconer cross three minutes from time, provided a crumb of consolation but it was no more than that.

Aberdeen manager Ebbe Skovdahl, as would be expected, was a happy man at the way the night's events had unfolded.

"I must give credit to the players for focusing on how important this game was," he said.

"This is a crucial thing for top sportsmen to be able to be good when it is needed."

The tightening of the SPL basement was, he claimed, a good thing.

"There is competition which is good," he said.

"Fans like to see exciting games whether there is a lot at stake and that is what we have got in front of us in the next few months."

Steven Tweed and Kevin Rutkiewicz were both booked for tangling in a first-half flare-up. Wilkie also saw yellow for a foul on Rutkiewicz.

Match report written by The Courier

Squad Statistics (as at February 23rd, 2000)

1999-00 All Time
Jamie Langfield (GK)20 2 - 5 -
Willie Miller30 11 - 40 -
Barry Smith26 24 - 1661
Steven Tweed27 271382
Lee Wilkie19 15 - 15 -
Steven Boyack23 273355
Shaun McSkimming29 242857
Gavin Rae22 274917
Hugh Robertson24 161452
Willie Falconer33 25116015
James Grady28 2229423
Nicky Banger (sub)27 9 - 9 -
Eddie Annand (sub)26 22310029
Graham Bayne (sub)20 101161

League Table (as at February 23rd, 2000)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Naturally, everyone connected with the Club is very disappointed at last week's exit from the Scottish Cup.

Unfortunately, we only really played well for the first ten minutes of extra-time and the simple truth is that we didn't do enough in the two games against Ayr United to win the tie.

Frustratingly, we got ourselves in a position to go on and win the tie after taking the lead within seconds of the start of extra-time, but unfortunately, conceded the equaliser on the stroke of half time. Thereafter, the game petered out to be decided on penalties and, unfortunately, we missed more than they did.

In the wake of that cup exit, we have got to pick ourselves upand concentrate on the important upcoming league games with the aim of amassing sufficient points to attain a comfortable place in the table.

Our last game at Dens against Celtic resulted in yet another defeat and a continuation of our poor home record this season. However, we did make a promising start, creating a couple of early chances, and matched Celtic, but only until they scored.

After that, they were a different side and went to seal victory with two further goals.

But all we can do is put these results behind us and look ahead.

That starts this evening with the re arranged fixture with the ever improving Aberdeen. In addition to hauling themselves off the bottom of the table,

Ebbe Skoldvahl's team has also reached the final of the CIS Insurance Cup Final for which I'd like to extend my congratulations to the manager and his. players.

Although no longer bottom. Aberdeen still lie seven points behind us and tonight's game affords us the opportunity to stretch that gap and give us a little bit of breathing space.

And, if we can manage to do that, hopefully, it will enable us to play with the same kind of freedom which was. in evidence in the latter stages of last season when we enjoyed such a good run.