Dundee 1
St Johnstone 1
League (Premier League)

1 - 1
St Johnstone 

League (Premier League)
Saturday, December 2nd, 2000
Dens Park
Attendance: 7,014
3:00 PM Kick-off

Juan Sara 
Lee Wilkie (o.g) (94)

Team Managers
Ivano Bonetti
Sandy Clark

Starting Eleven
1. Marco Roccati
5. Marco De Marchi
4. Marcello Marrocco
2. Barry Smith
6. Steven Tweed
18. Javier Artero
8. Ivano Bonetti
10. Giorgi Nemsadze
14. Gavin Rae
33. Claudio Caniggia
9. Juan Sara
Alan Main .1
Jim Weir .5
Darren Dods .2
Stuart McCluskey .19
Marc McCulloch .27
Paul Hartley .17
Paul Kane .11
Nick Dasovic .4
Mohammend Sylla .16
Paddy Connolly .14
Keigan Parker .22

3. Jamie Langfield
20. Lee Wilkie
25. Beto Carranza
12. Shaun McSkimming
15. Steven Milne
Kevin Cuthbert .35
Craig Russell .8
Steven Frail .15
Ross Forsyth .31
John Paul McBride .20

Lee Wilkie for Steven Tweed (33)
Beto Carranza for Javier Artero (67)
Steven Milne for Juan Sara (89)
John Paul McBride for Paul Hartley (74)

Claudio Caniggia (29)
Marco De Marchi (35)
Mohammend Sylla (45)
Stuart McCluskey (87)
Keigan Parker (89)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Hugh Dallas (Referee)
Jim Dunne & Derek Mason (Assistants)
Iain Brines (Fourth Official)

Match Report

A bizarre Lee Wilkie own goal four minutes into injury time denied Dundee the points at Dens Park in their Tayside derby with visiting Saints.

The Dark Blues led for 76 minutes after grabbing an early lead through Argentinian Juan Sara.

But, when Mohammed Sylla whipped in a cross towards Paddy Connolly, the towering home defender on as a 33rd-minute substitute for head knock victim Steven Tweed misjudged the ball and was left watching in horror as his keeper failed to keep it out of the net.

Dundee's opener was the simplest of goals.

Player-manager Ivano Bonetti swung an inviting cross high into the Saints box and Sara sent a looping header past Alan Main to give the Dens men the lead.

Sara, in the side in place of the injured Willie Falconer, caused problems for the visitors' defence throughout the game, and went close from good deliveries supplied by Bonetti and fellow Argentinian Claudio Caniggia.

Saints threatened, too, with Sylla and Paddy Connolly both forcing decent stops from Marco Roccati.

Connolly actually beat the Italian after 27 minutes with a header at the far post, but his effort was disallowed for offside.

As the game got more physical, Caniggia and Marco de Marchi became the first and second bookings of the afternoon.

Caniggia had little reason to feel hard done by as he had been niggling with Jim Weir.

However, de Marchi's yellow card was a clear case of mistaken identity by referee Hugh Dallas.

It had been Marcello Marrocco's foul that sent Connolly crashing to the ground.

The Saints striker suffered no serious damage and brought yet another good save out of Roccati with a drive from the edge of the area.

Sylla committed a series of fouls and was finally yellow-carded just before the interval for clattering Marcello Marrocco.

He continued to be reckless, and was lucky not to be sent off when he tangled with Barry Smith on the touchline.

A clever short corner between Caniggia and Bonetti almost saw Sara add a second on the hour mark, but he was denied by a point-blank stop from Main.

The Scotland squad keeper kept his best effort for last, though, producing a stunning one-handed save to push substitute Beto Carranza's shot on to the post.

Match report written by The Sunday Post

Squad Statistics (as at December 2nd, 2000)

2000-01 All Time
Marco Roccati (GK)25 6 - 6 -
Marco De Marchi - 14 - 14 -
Marcello Marrocco31 16 - 16 -
Barry Smith26 20 - 1991
Steven Tweed28 191694
Javier Artero25 192283
Ivano Bonetti - 151151
Giorgi Nemsadze28 191191
Gavin Rae23 1511199
Claudio Caniggia33 8585
Juan Sara24 177177
Lee Wilkie (sub)20 91361
Beto Carranza (sub)28 6161
Steven Milne (sub)20 81101

League Table (as at December 2nd, 2000)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Our last two games have produced two very different results and performances.

From the peak of our biggest win of the season against St Mirren when we rattled in five goals without reply, we slumped to defeat against Hearts at Tynecastle last week.

There is no doubt that against St Mirren, the fans saw the quality that we have throughout the playing ranks here at Dens Park and that we have the potential to achieve our aims.

Unfortunately, seven days later, the problems associated with building a new team were equally as evident.

First-half at Tynecastle, things went reasonably well and we headed into the break ahead thanks to Beto Carranza's expertly executed free-kick.

Unfortunately, some refereeing decisions which went against us and lapses in concentration both in attack and defence combined to leave us pointless against one of our main rivals for a top six placing.

Obviously, to lose two goals in the last two minutes is not acceptable and something which we have been working on to ensure that there is no repeat of in the future.

And from that defeat, we must lift ourselves as we face another side with aspirations of finishing in the top half of the league this afternoon.

St Johnstone leap-frogged us in the table last week and extended that advantage by virtue of their draw with Aberdeen in midweek.

That makes this afternoon's league clash almost like a cup final, because we obviously cannot afford to let the Perth side gain any further ground on us.

And we have been preparing for this game as if it is a cup final because it is getting to the stage in the season where three points would have a major impact towards helping us achieve our minimum target for the season of finishing in the top six.

The late changes which were enforced upon us immediately before kick-off last week certainly didn't help our cause, but does look as though Giorgi Nemsadze who was forced to withdraw during the warm-up will be fit to resume in midfield this afternoon for this very important Tayside derby which we will be going all out to win.