Kilmarnock 3
Dundee 1
League (Premier League)


3 - 1


League (Premier League)
Monday, December 27th, 2004
Rugby Park
Attendance: 5,468
3:00 PM Kick-off

Daniel Invincibile (18'
Simon Ford (38)
Kris Boyd (82)
John Sutton (39)

Team Managers
Jim Jefferies Jim Duffy

Starting Eleven
13. Graeme Smith
18. Simon Ford
6. Frederic Dindeleux
5. Gordon Greer
33. Steven Naismith
3. Garry Hay
22. Peter Leven
11. Daniel Invincibile
7. Gary McDonald
9. Kris Boyd
15. Colin John Nish
Derek Soutar .1
Jonay Hernández .16
Callum MacDonald .17
Stephen McNally .20
Brent Sancho .3
Barry Smith .2
Neil Barrett .14
Garry Brady .12
Steven Robb .18
Steve Lovell .9
John Sutton .10

26. Craig Samson
25. Mickael Wolski
8. Gary Locke
19. Stephen Murray
10. Craig Dargo
14. Gary Wales
12. Alan Johnston
Scott Murray
Bobby Mann .5
Lee Wilkie .6
Mark Fotheringham .8
Glen Atle Larsen .7
Fabian Caballero .26
Alexandre Cerdeira .19

Allan Johnston for Steven Naismith (74) Alexandre Cerdeira for Steven Robb (67)
Mark Fotheringham for Neil Barrett (73)

Gordon Greer (65) Alexandre Cerdeira (78)
Steve Lovell (90)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Hugh Dallas (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee dropped to second bottom of the SPL after a performance that lacked the bite and fight of the pre-Christmas win over Aberdeen. There was no lack of effort, but the Dark Blues struggled to get close to a Kilmarnock team who achieved victory with an ease that they couldn't have anticipated.

There was a surprise in Jim Duffy's team selection for the healthy sized away support amongst the 5468 crowd at a chilly Rugby Park,

Most observers had rated Fabian Caballero's performance in the win over the Dons as his best since returning to Dens, but the manager reverted to a 4-4-2 formation, bringing back Hernandez at left back with the Argentinean spending the afternoon freezing on the bench.

Kilmarnock pressed early on and Soutar had to be alert to block Boyd's third minute shot on the turn, but it was Dundee who came closest to taking the lead in the opening minutes.

Steven Robb curled in a 30- yard free kick from wide on the right and it appeared destined for the top corner until Smith snaked out an arm and tipped it away for a corner in the seventh minute.

Killie had another opportunity on the quarter hour, but Nish scuffed the opportunity wide of the target.

The opener wasn't delayed long and while good build up from the Ayrshire side brought the goal, poor defending from the Dark Blues was as much to blame. Invincible picked up the ball in midfield, fed MacDonald on the right and surged into the box for the return, the Australian had acres of spaces as the ball arrived at his feet and although his finish wasn't the cleanest strike, it went across Soutar and into the bottom corner of the net.

Hernandez tried to hit back in 25 minutes, picking up Sutton's free kick and firing a vicious right foot shot from an angle which Smith could only parry, fortunately for Killie, their defenders reacted quickest to clear.

After a promising opening, the next quarter of an hour was increasingly scrappy, though Kilmarnock ended that spell by doubling their advantage in 38 minutes.

Garry Hay looped in a simple free kick from the left and Ford rose to head home with barely a challenge from the Dees' central defence. That goal had manager Duffy raging on the touchline, but within a minute Dundee were back in the match.

Steve Lovell found space on the right and delivered a fine cross that was powerfully headed home from close range by strike partner Sutton. Hitting back so quickly should have been the catalyst for Dundee to come out with all guns blazing in the second period, but instead it was the home side that adopted that approach.

Dundee were pressed back for pretty much all of the first quarter of an hour of the second half, and the game really should have been put beyond their reach. Only some last gasp defending. notably from Callum Macdonald and the reactions of keeper Soutar, plus some abject finishing from the homesters kept Dundee in it.

Jim Jeffries admitted afterwards that he guessed that Dundee would come back into it after his side had failed to take advantage of that spell, and his assumption was correct although the Dark Blues pressed forward for much of the rest of the half, it was without much conviction though.

Steve Lovell had a couple of efforts which brought hoots of derision from the home fans, but at least the Englishman was prepared to try his luck. Whilst the home side had been happy to sit back and soak up Dundee's efforts, eight minutes from time they broke through the middle to sew up the points.

Kris Boyd picked up the ball in the centre circle and was allowed to advance without challenge before unleashing a shot from 25-yards out. and whilst his shot had pace, Derek Soutar should have saved it.

However, in the lashing rain, it would be harsh to attribute too much blame to the keeper though, because he was one of the few who deserved pass marks from this match, especially as he was afforded scant cover by his defence.

A now buoyant home eleven piled forward for the rest of the game in search of more goals, and they could easily have added to their total against a by now dispirited Dundee side All of which begged the question, how could Dundee have competed so well in their previous match against Aberdeen, but perform so poorly against a side that went into this contest lacking in confidence.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at December 27th, 2004)

2004-05 All Time
Derek Soutar (GK)23 21 - 22 -
Jonay Hernández25 151892
Callum MacDonald21 16 - 23 -
Stephen McNally - 14 - 16 -
Brent Sancho27 19 - 44 -
Barry Smith30 22 - 3704
Neil Barrett23 141272
Garry Brady28 191962
Steven Robb22 172463
Steve Lovell24 2198330
John Sutton21 206206
Mark Fotheringham (sub)21 18 - 474
Alexandre Cerdeira (sub) - 6 - 6 -

League Table (as at December 27th, 2004)

No league table has been added for this season.