Airdrieonians (2002) 0
Dundee 1
League (First Division)

Airdrie (2002) 

0 - 1


League (First Division)
Saturday, September 23rd, 2006
Excelsior Stadium
Attendance: 1,249
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Derek Lyle (pen.) (25)

Team Managers
Sandy Stewart Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Stevie Robertson
2. Kevin Christie
3. Marc Smyth
4. Neil McGowan
5. Gary Tierney
6. Graeme Holmes
7. Stuart Taylor
8. Steven McDougall
9. Xavier Barrau
10. Brian McPhee
11. Gary Twigg
Ludovic Roy .1
Danny Griffin .2
Bobby Mann .3
Greg Strong .4
Paul Dixon .5
Kevin McDonald .6
Scott Robertson .7
Alex Rae .8
Gavin Swankie .9
Derek Lyle .10
Andy McLaren .11

12. Lee Hollis
14. Kevin MacDonald
15. Stephen McKeown
16. Stephen McKenna
17. Bryan Prunty
Scott Murray .12
Callum MacDonald .14
Ross Harris .15
Robert Campbell .16
Scott Gates .17

Stephen McKeown for Gary Tierney (46)
Stephen McKenna for Gary Twigg (72)
Bryan Prunty for Brian McPhee (72)
Ross Harris for Kevin McDonald (64)
Robert Campbell for Andy McLaren (80)
Scott Gates for Gavin Swankie (81)

Xavier Barrau (69)
Kevin Christie (79)
Greame Holmes (90)
Gavin Swankie (20)
Kevin McDonald (63)
Scott Gates (88)

Red Cards
Neil McGowan (25) None.

Match Officials

Willie Collum (Referee)

Match Report

Airdrie United's Excelsior stadium wasn't a happy hunting ground for Dundee last season, they lost eleven goals without reply in two trips to this part of Lanarkshire-and indeed also lost both home games to Sandy Stewart's side. So it was with some satisfaction that the Dark Blues' travelling support trooped away from the ground post match for on this occasion Dundee came away with three points to continue their recent good run of results.

Dundee were unchanged from the starting eleven which had put Gretna and Queen of the South to the sword in their previous two outings, but while they had started those two matches at full speed it was different story here indeed they should have been one down within seconds of the kick off, Airdrie working the ball down the left and when the ball arrived in the box Brian McPhee was waiting to pounce with only 15 seconds on the clock It was an identical situation to that which had materialised in October 2005 when the veteran striker scored a 14 second goal as Airdrie hammered Dundee 4-0. This time though the fireman missed, hitting his shot into the side netting.

It was a let off for the Dee and there were more scares to follow as the Diamonds started in form which made a mockery of their foot of the table league position.

In six minutes Steven McDougall cut inside and fired in a shot which was blocked by Paul Dixon, the loose ball fell to Taylor but he blasted over.

Just a minute later McPhee got to the byeline and cut a pass back for Graeme Holmes who had found space ten yards out, Greg Strong put in a last ditch challenge but the youngster fired in a shot which Roy blocked with his legs.

From the resultant corner the keeper was again in action, diving to his right to keep out Gary Twigg's header.

Dundee had barely been up the park at that point but they had a chance in 11 minutes as Bobby Mann rose to meet a Swankie comer from the right, the Dens skipper couldn't replicate his opening goal of the previous week however - sending his header just over the crossbar.

Four minutes later Scott Robertson robbed a defender of the ball and waltzed around keeper Robertson, but had been pushed too wide and his cross, aimed for Swankie, was overhit.

Dundee were still being pressed back but midway through the first half they broke away for the game's decisive moment.

Alex Rae clipped a fine ball over the top of the defence and Gavin Swankie squirmed clear with Airdrie's Gary Tierney and Neil McGowan in pursuit of the striker, as he entered the penalty area Tierney put in a despairing challenge from behind but made little contact, McGowan though was coming in from the side and he appeared to push Swankie with the striker tumbling.

Referee Collum raced up and pointed to the spot before brandishing a red card in the direction of McGowan.

It was a chance for Derek Lyle to add to his growing tally of goals in Dark Blue and, though Robertson correctly guessed which way the striker would go, he confidently struck the penalty past the keeper to give Dundee an unlikely lead.

Ludovic Roy was called into action again in 36 minutes as a comer broke to McDougal, the Airdrie man crossing back into the danger area but Roy punching clear under severe pressure.

With three minutes to go until the break the French keeper was again in action as McPhee raced onto a punt from Robertson, but Roy made the save look easy.

After the interval it was the same story with Airdrie creating chances at regular intervals, though Dundee came close to securing the points within a minute of the restart-Derek Lyle going down the right and crossing for Paul Dixon to fire in a twenty yarder which went narrowly wide.

Two minutes later Dundee were again on the back foot and Roy was called into action again, producing his best save so far to deny Twigg after McPhee and McDougal had carved a way through the Dens back fine.

In 53 minutes it was Roy to the rescue again as Barru sent in a free kick which Taylor headed goal-wards the keeper pushing the effort round the post.

Four minutes later Dundee again almost sealed the points, Swankie's free kick finding Strong, who's shot beat Robertson but crashed back off the upright.

McPhee fired wide from a Barru cross shortly afterwards but Dundee again came close in 61 minutes with a fine move, Mann picking out Dixon who raced forward. before cutting the ball back to Kevin McDonald, he looked certain to score but Robertson produced a great save from the youngster's side footer.

It looked like Dundee had weathered the storm and with twenty minutes to go they again came close as Dixon fired in a free kick from the right which sailed just too high and a minute later Swankie raced after a Strong clearance, he didn't quite catch the ball but forced a defender into a desperate clearance which went only inches wide of his own goal.

Airdrie came back with a late flurry but only once came really close Barru's 88th minute cross being met by the head of Tierny but the central defender put his effort into the side-netting.

Airdrie had shown enough to suggest that they won't hang around the bottom of the league all season, they deserved at least a point and probably more from this match- For Alex Rae and his men this was a disappointing performance, Dundee failed to play anything like as well as in the previous two games. Importantly though they came out of a tough tussle with three points, that's something that has rarely happened in recent years.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at September 23rd, 2006)

2006-07 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 4 - 4 -
Bobby Mann32 41815
Greg Strong31 8 - 8 -
Paul Dixon19 9 - 482
Danny Griffin29 6 - 6 -
Kevin McDonald17 91424
Scott Robertson21 8 - 612
Alex Rae36 8181
Andy McLaren - 4141
Gavin Swankie22 93123
Derek Lyle25 5454
Ross Harris (sub)22 9191
Scott Gates (sub)18 6 - 14 -
Robert Campbell (sub) - 7 - 7 -

League Table (as at September 23rd, 2006)

No league table has been added for this season.