Dundee 3
Partick Thistle 1
League (First Division)

3 - 1

League (First Division)
Tuesday, December 26th, 2006
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,113
3:00 PM Kick-off

Bryan Deasley (31)
Bryan Deasley (33)
Gavin Swankie (62)
Derek Young (2)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
Dick Campbell

Starting Eleven
1. Ludovic Roy
2. Danny Griffin
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Bobby Mann
5. Paul Dixon
6. Jay Shields
7. Scott Robertson
8. Alex Rae
9. Gavin Swankie
10. Derek Lyle
11. Bryan Deasley
Kenny Arthur .1
Scott Boyd .2
Scott McCulloch .3
Billy Gibson .4
John Kane .5
Darren Brady .6
Brown Ferguson .7
Derek Young .8
Simon Donnelly .9
Graham Gibson .10
Stephen McConalogue .11

12. Ross Harris
14. Robert Campbell
15. Kevin McDonald
16. Scott Johnston
17. Craig Forsyth
Jonathan Tuffey .12
Michael Robertson .14
John McGoldrick .15
Mark Roberts .16

Robert Campbell for Gavin Swankie (63)
Kevin McDonald for Alex Rae (78)
Ross Harris for Bryan Deasley (78)
John McGoldrick for Simon Donnelly (15)
Mark Roberts for John McGoldrick (60)

Alex Rae (72)
John Kane (42)
Darren Brady (53)

Red Cards
None. Derek Young (74)
Match Officials

Dougie McDonald (Referee)
Frank McDermott & Jeff Banks (Assistants)

Match Report

A brace of goals from comeback kid Bryan Deasley sent Dundee on their way to a 3-1 victory over high-flying Partick Thistle. Deasley's return from injury couldn't have come at a better time as the team hope to push league leaders Gretna all the way in Saturday's forthcoming Raydale Park clash. But for now the teenager will be content with the role he played in Dundee's fight- back from going a goal down within the second minute.

Partick who, had it not been for the Christmas holiday at the SFA, would have asked for a postponement due to a virus affecting many of their squad, took the lead in the second minute through Derek Young, Graham Gibson won a corner when Gary McKenzie was forced to head the ball clear. From the resultant comer the former. Aberdeen and Dunfermline player hit straight for goal, with Ludovic Roy helpless thanks to the deflection the ball took while traveling towards the back of the net.

From then on the Dundee team took control and created chance after chance, with Derek Lyle missing a good chance to break the deadlock in the 10th minute. A long ball forward from Bobby Mann found Deasley, who succeeded in passing the ball into the box. Unfortunately for Lyle the ball reaching him took him by surprise and the chance passed him by.

Dundee continued to heap the pressure on the visitors, with Rae passing to Dixon on the left wing, the full-back swung the ball in for Lyle, who went for a spectacular finish with an overhead kick, and the result was the ball just clearing the left post. Dixon was involved again minutes later, his long thrown-in found Robertson who headed for goal, whipping the ball past the defence but the ball ran away from him, allowing Kenny Arthur to make a comfortable save.

Dick Campbell's injury problems worsened when Simon Donnelly limped from the field with 17 minutes played, being replaced by McGoldrick. Even with this change made, Dundee continued to press, and they got the goal their efforts deserved when Deasley's clever lob left keeper

Arthur helpless. That goal came in the 21st

minute, manager Alex Rae's ball through to Swankie allowed the striker to cross the ball into the area from the left, with Deasley guiding his shot over Arthur's head. Not only did the goal mark a comeback from persistent injury for Bryan, but it was also the first time he had found the net since the Telegraph Cup win over Dundee United back in July.

Now back in the game, Dundee kept the push forward going. After being brought down on the wing, Gavin Swankie picked himself up to take the resultant free-kick, unfortunately sending it straight into the arms of awaiting keeper, Kenny Arthur. That was quickly forgotten as a Swankie cross set up Derek Lyle who shot straight at the keeper from close range, although Arthur's quick reactions prevented Lyle from getting his name on the score sheet, it only allowed Deasley to add his once more, as from the loose ball he shot low

into the net to make it 2-1.

As half time neared the illness and injury problems of the visitors became more evident as Dundee pushed for a goal before the break, with lags striker John Kane (10) picking up the only yellow card of the half

The second half started as the first half had ended, with Dundee continually pushing forward. A Danny Griffin free kick found Gavin Swankie, who was challenged for the ball, giving Dundee a throw-in. Dixon's throw-in found Gary Mckenzie's head, but unlike Bryan Deasley, his return to the starting eleven could not be marked with a goal

From then on Deasley was presented with numerous chances to get his first first-team hat-trick, all of which failed to come to fruition. With the score poised at 2-1 Partick were always in with the chance of clawing something back from the game, especially when Roberts replaced McGoldrick, but any doubt over the outcome was put to rest in the 62nd minute when Gavin Swankie scored the crucial goal which put the game beyond Partick Thistle.

Clever play from Derek Lyle set Swankie up in the box, with the attacker sending his deflected shot past Arthur from 10 yards out. For Swankie that was his last kick of the ball, as he was then replaced by Robert Campbell, a precautionary measure after the former Arbroath man had earlier picked up a knock.

The latest of Deasley's chances came in the

70th minute when he was clear through, but the stand-side linesman ruled for offside. Scott Robertson, after a pass from Deasley, then took too long in trying to find the space and angle to shoot inside the box and the ball was cleared again by the Partick defence.

Dick Campbell and Partick Thistle's misery

was compounded when goal scorer Derek Young was shown a red card for a high, reckless challenge on Alex Rae. From the free kick awarded for the challenge Rae headed on for Deasley again but the shot across goal sneaked just wide.

Almost immediately after that chance the midfield was freshened up with Harris and McDonald coming on to replace Deasley and Rae respectively. With strike partners Swankie and Deasley scoring then. substituted, Lyle looked like a man with a mission, and in the 80th minute, after clever play on the wing, moved inside but his well hit curling shot went just wide of the mark

Ten-man Partick continued to soak up the pressure, even when Kevin McDonald- who had only been on the park for a matter of minutes was sent clear. Kenny Arthur raced off his line as McDonald was forced wide the Dens youngster rounded the keeper but, as he tried to move in for the shot, Arthur was able to recover to clear the ball from the danger area. minutes to go until the final whistle

With Dundee heaped on the pressure. A Derek Lyle ball found Jay Shields, whose ball into the box was deflected out for a corner. Harris took the short corner to Danny Griffin, who won yet another corner. At the second attempt Harris knocked the ball onto the head of Bobby Mann, who headed down to Paul Dixon, whose left foot volley also went wide.

With seconds to go Partick gave Dundee a late scare. Confusion between Bobby Mann and Gary McKenzie at a header in the centre circle allowed Mark Roberts to run through on Ludovic Roy. The Partick striker looked odds on to score but Roy saved with his legs to keep the score at 3-1.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at December 26th, 2006)

2006-07 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 14 - 14 -
Gary Mackenzie21 7 - 7 -
Paul Dixon20 20 - 592
Bobby Mann32 161935
Scott Robertson21 20 - 732
Jay Shields21 3 - 3 -
Danny Griffin29 15 - 15 -
Alex Rae37 193193
Bryan Deasley18 122315
Gavin Swankie23 208238
Derek Lyle25 136136
Kevin McDonald (sub)18 191524
Ross Harris (sub)22 171171
Robert Campbell (sub) - 15 - 15 -

League Table (as at December 26th, 2006)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

First of all can I wish everyone the compliments of the season as we welcome Partick Thistle to Dens this afternoon.

They have been a thorn in our side this season having won both the league and the CIS Cup games here at Dens at the start of the season and also won at Firhill the last time we met, so we have something of a score to settle with them.

In our last home game against Ross County I was delighted the way the lads fought back from going behind midway through the second half against Ross County to end up winning comfortably. As far as I can recall, I think that is probably the first time in my time here that we've come from a goal behind and gone on to win.

When Ross County went ahead, I couldn't believe it, because we had been so much in control. But credit to the lads for going on to get the three points.

Ahead of the visit to St Johnstone, I brought in Jay Shields from Hibs, knowing of Peterhead's interest in Callum Macdonald. He is a player I know through his football and his family, and he made a promising debut after coming on as a second half substitute at Perth.

Despite losing by the odd goal in three to St Johnstone, given the circumstances, I was reasonably encouraged.

You can never say you are happy after a defeat, but, apart from the way we lost the two goals, I thought it was a decent display.

If I were honest, I would say they just shaded the first half, but, after the break, we had good pressure.

We were killed by a couple of mistakes and not taking our chances. I thought the boys got stuck in though and, to be fair to them, we were forced to make some late changes.

Again last week, our defending at both goals we lost was poor, but if we'd taken our chances we'd have been okay. I had a great chance so did Bobby Mann and there were others too, but tightening up at the back is a priority.

For that reason, it was good to see Gary Mackenzie return to action for the first time since the end of August.

And with Gary Smith having done very well in the middle we are going to make effort to secure his services from Cowdenbeath on a permanent basis, because he is quality.

Whilst we have decided not to pursue our interest in Czech trialists Ondrej Novotny and Pavel Patka, we are keen to speak to two of the five players we had on trial from the Old Firm recently. So hopefully, with the transfer window reopening next week, we can further strengthen the squad for the second half of the season.