Dundee 2
Livingston 0
League (First Division)

2 - 0

League (First Division)
Tuesday, January 2nd, 2007
Dens Park
Attendance: 3,804
3:00 PM Kick-off

Robert Campbell (pen.) (46)
Scott Robertson (82)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
John Robertson

Starting Eleven
1. Ludovic Roy
2. Danny Griffin
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Gary Smith
5. Paul Dixon
6. Ross Harris
7. Jay Shields
8. Scott Robertson
9. Robert Campbell
10. Derek Lyle
11. Bryan Deasley
Craig Wight .1
Scott Cuthbert .2
Steven Tweed .3
James McPake .4
Joe Hamill .5
Dave Mackay .6
Gary Miller .7
Allan Walker .8
Graham Dorrans .9
Lee Makel .10
Robert Snodgrass .11

12. Scott Murray
14. Bobby Mann
15. Brian Clark
16. Scott Johnston
17. Craig Forsyth
Duncan Monteith. 12
Mark Torrance. 14
David Sinclair .15
Paul Shields .16
Leigh Griffiths .17

Brian Clark for Robert Campbell (74)
Scott Johnston for Ross Harris (83)
Paul Shields for Joe Hamill (62)
Leigh Griffiths for Robert Snodgrass (83)

Jay Shields (38)
James McPake (79)
Allan Walker (89)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Mike Ritchie (Referee)
Alastair Mather & Cameron McKay (Assistants)

Match Report

After being under the cash for much of the first half, a resurrected Dundee emerged after half time to record a 2-0 defeat of Livingston at Dens Park. For periods of the first half Dundee were pegged back, with their first proper chance on goal coming just minutes before the half time whistle. But after the break the team went quickly ahead through a Dave Mackay own goal followed by a Scott Robertson shot late on.

Although Livi controlled long spells of the first half, Dundee created the first chance, with Paul Dixon collecting the ball on the left flank before playing the ball to Robert Campbell. The on-loan Kilmarnock man tried to get around the defence but as he did so the ball ran away from him, resulting in the ball falling straight to keeper Craig Wight. Minutes later Livingston created their first chance when Robert Snodgrass's pass found James McPake who ran to goal, but Ludovic Roy was sharply off his goal and cleared the ball with his legs.

There was little to talk about in a first half of few chances by Livi to break the deadlock but the game stayed evenly matched at the whistle. Within five minutes of first half play, the away team had three good chances to take the lead. In the twelfth minute Joseph Hamill's pass found Allan Walker but the header fell just wide of Roy's left hand post. Then play between Graham Dorrans and Robert Snodgrass allowed McPake to run through on goal with Gary McKenzie in tow, who tried to narrow down the angle and space. McPake then hit the shot, which deflected out to the left for a corner kick. McPake and McKenzie were again involved as the latter fouled the former at the corner flag. From the resultant free kick Snodgrass won the ball, but frustratingly for the away side the ball again was forced wide after a touch from Roy in the home goal

It took Dundee, and more in-particular, Paul Dixon until the twenty-eighth minute to carve another chance. Robert Campbell ran after a loose ball, which was then crossed into the box. The ball was cleared to Jay Shields who passed to Dixon, who shot at Wight from twenty-five yards out. Clever play from Derek Lyle then set-up Campbell, who's shot fell to in-form Bryan Deasley, but before he had the chance to shoot the Livi defence sent the ball clear for a comer. The clearance by the away defence fell to right-back Danny Griffin, who's shot from the half-way line which never troubled Craig Wight in goal. Jay Shields was then booked for persistent fouling. Just before the break a Paul Dixon throw-in was headed on by Gary McKenzie while surrounded by the defence, the header fell to Deasley, whose volley landed just over the bar.

The second half couldn't have started any better for the home side as they got their nases in front in the 46th minute. Derek Lyle's cross into the box found Harris, whose shot was panied by Wight, Former Dee defender Mackay must have had a feeling of irony as the ball ricocheted off the defender and into the net in the previous encounter at Dens earlier in the season, Mackay had been the match- winner for Livi L after ra bizarre own goal after a headed clearance was knocked straight to him and into the net without knowledge of it. But fortunately for the Dee the luck fell in their favour this time.

That gave the team the kick start that was needed and it was evident, that the confidence had grown amongst the side. A Robert Campbell pass from the middle of the park found Paul Dixon on the left, who whipped the ball into the box for Derek Lyle, whose header was just wide of the mark.

Play between Harris and Deasley in the midfield allowed the striker to run with the ball before firing in the ball across the box but Harris's scuffed shot fell straight inte Wight's waiting arms Dundee's pressure continued, but not before Livi nearly hauled themselves right back into the game. A free kick into the box, after a Gary Smith foul, was tipped over the bar after a Danny Griffin header under pressure from the attack From the resultant comer the ball was fed up the park where Harris received the ball after hard work by Lyle, the midfielder cross into the box managed to evade both Lyle and Deasley before. falling into the path of Campbell. The Killie man passed to Robertson but as he tried to find room for the shot he was closed down by the Livi defence and the move amounted to nothing.

In the 62nd minute Livingston made a substitution, with Joseph Hamill being replaced by Paul Shields for the visitors. In the 67th minute the Dundee defence was bombarded with shot after shot, but Roy and the defence proved their worth as eventually Graham Dorrans fired wide to ease the pressure. But minutes later the defence failed with a free kick floated into the box, with Roy tipping the ball wide. On the break Dundee won a comer on the right wing after Deasley was constantly pushed back. The free kick landed at Dixon, whose pass to Robertson allowed him to try to set up the shot, but the ball fell just too far in front of him. Brian Clark then replaced Robert Campbell with sixteen. minutes to go.

In the 76th minute Jay Shields passed to Harris on the wing, who skipped past the oncoming defender to lay the ball off the Lyle, but his first tie volley skimmed over the bar. Livingston weren't completely out of the game after a foul by Harris the ball was whipped into the box by Lee Makel by it was an easy save for former Livi-man Roy. Roy's clearance up the park found Lyle who passed onto Deasley. The teen-striker then tried to round the on-rushing keeper, but as he did so Wight managed to get a hand to the ball and clear the danger. With ten minutes to go James McPake was yellow carded for obstructing Roy as he was trying to take a goal kick

In the 82nd minute Dundee put the game well past Livi when Scott Robertson hit is first goal of the season. Harris found Deasley on the wing, who then found Lyle. He cut inside with the pass to Robertson who hit the shot low and hard past keeper Wight to make it

2-0 to the Dark Blues. Straight after the goal Scott Johnston replaced Harris, with Livingston also making a change: Leigh Griffiths coming on for Robert Snodgrass Livi gave Dundee one last scare before the end when a Lee Makel free kick into the box was headed out at the near post by man-of-the-match Gary McKenzie, with the resultant corner failing to trouble the defence.

The game ended with Lyle shooting wide after being set up by goal-scorer Robertson. Lee Makel was later pulled up by referee Mike Ritchie for a kick at Lyle in the lead up to the shot, issuing him with a yellow card.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at January 2nd, 2007)

2006-07 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 16 - 16 -
Paul Dixon20 22 - 612
Gary Mackenzie21 9 - 9 -
Gary Smith35 7171
Danny Griffin29 17 - 17 -
Ross Harris22 191191
Scott Robertson21 221753
Jay Shields21 5 - 5 -
Robert Campbell - 171171
Bryan Deasley18 142335
Derek Lyle25 156156
Brian Clark (sub)18 1 - 1 -
Scott Johnston (sub) - 1 - 1 -

League Table (as at January 2nd, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Deasley offers us something different, It's been a kind of stop start season with injuries for him, but that showed what he is capable of doing he contributed when he came on in the last home game against Ross County, so it's important that we keep him fit. His first goal was a good finish and it was good to get it as it came when we were having wave after wave of attacks and it was important to get the goal at that time.

I think we did very, very well, disappointing start again but it kind of kick started us into playing, I'm absolutely delighted with the performance and the result.

Their goal was such a poor one to give away and the passage of play leading to the corner from which it was scored was poor for us. But that apart I thought the back four were brilliant, they attacked the ball well and we just need to eradicate the wee mistakes and I'm sure we'll be OK. Gary MacKenzie did well, I knew what he could do from being with him at Rangers. He's very aggressive and has a big stature, although he'd just learning his trade he'd another one we need to keep fit.

We had to draft in a few young boys to be on the bench today, simply because we don't have the numbers, Gary Smith missed out with a knock, hopefully he'll be in contention for a place on Saturday, but the boys who started and the boys who came on during the game did fantastically well.