Dundee 1
Queen of the South 1
Scottish Cup (3rd Round)

1 - 1
Queen of South 

Scottish Cup (3rd Round)
Saturday, January 6th, 2007
Dens Park
Attendance: 2,681
3:00 PM Kick-off

Derek Lyle (37)
Sean O'Connor (45)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
Ian McCall

Starting Eleven
1. Ludovic Roy
2. Danny Griffin
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Bobby Mann
5. Paul Dixon
6. Ross Harris
7. Jay Shields
8. Alex Rae
9. Scott Robertson
10. Derek Lyle
11. Gavin Swankie
Colin Scott .1
Jim Thomson .2
Jim Lauchlan .3
Jamie McQuilken .4
Eric Paton .5
Scott Robertson .6
Paul Burns .7
Neil Scally .8
Warren Moon .9
Stephen Dobbie .10
Sean O'Connor .11

12. Callum Reidford
14. Craig Forsyth
15. Scott Johnston
16. Brian Clark
17. Robert Campbell
Barry John Corr .12
Lewis Sloan .14
John O'Neill .15
Graham Weir .16
Murray Henderson .17

Robert Campbell for Alex Rae (76)
Brian Clark for Gavin Swankie (84)
John O'Neill for Scott Robertson (75)
Graham Weir for Stephen Dobbie (84)
Murray Henderson for Sean O'Connor (89?

Alex Rae
Scott Robertson (59)
Paul Burns (66)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Crawford Allan (Referee)

Match Report

It was again a slow start to get into their stride for Dundee as QOS forced a replay against a weakened side. Injury and suspension meant that Kevin McDonald, Bryan Deasley and Gary Smith all missed out while Alex Rae returned to the first team, despite not being fully recovered from the virus which had seen him miss the visit of Livingston. After a well worked goal by Derek Lyle, lan McCall's Queens battled back to level the score just before the interval.

Queens came out the traps first when a corner from Warren Moon was headed just over by Sean O'Connor in the fifth minute. Minutes later Jay Shields won a free kick on the half way line after being brought down by Neil Scally. Dundee had a strong penalty appeal as Bobby Mann seemed to be hauled down as he rose to meet Danny Griffin's ball into the area. From the loose ball Alex Rae shot a volley over the crossbar.

Tuesday's Man of the Match Gary McKenzie suffered a scare in the 11th minute when he went to clear the ball after a shot had been fired in, and with Ludovic Roy stranded the ball went just wide of the left-hand post.

Clever play in the middle of the park between Harris and Lyle allowed the former to cross the ball into the box, but the ball was taken in the air by keeper Colin Scott just ahead of Lyle.

McKenzie again put Roy in an awkward position in the 17th minute when his pass-back wasn't enough to reach the home keeper, with an attack looming Ludovic raced from his line to make two challenges before sending the ball clear of the danger.

Alex Rae created his own attack on goal in the 21st minute when he followed up on a pass back to away keeper Colin Scott. The ball broke for Lyle after Rae's challenge but the keeper redeemed himself making a one-handed save from a goal bound Lyle shot. Rae was again involved as a Harris corner was headed on by Bobby Mann, but Rae's follow up again went wide of the mark. With both teams searching to break the deadlock to progress to the latter rounds of the cup, a goal always looked likely. Dundee continued to push, with a Gavin Swankie corner saved at the near post by the keeper, then a Scott Robertson shot saved from 25 yards out from goal.

In the 37th minute the deadlock was broken. Robertson's pass to Dixon was then crossed into the six yard area, with Lyle heading bravely past oncoming keeper Scott to take the lead. It was just reward for the former Queens player who had started the game well.

The game wasn't to stay that way for long, as just on half time the Doonhammers drew level. A throw in from the left wing was volleyed over Ludovic Roy by Sean O'Connor to make sure that the teams went in at the break level. Similarly to the Livingston game on Tuesday, Dundee attacked from the off at the re-start, within the first minute Alex Rae had sent a deflected header wide. The resultant corner was headed on by Bobby Mann, but his attempt on goal was cleared off the line when the score looked to be heading 2-1 in Dundee's favour.

Scott Robertson seemed to have more confidence in his shooting ability after scoring the second goal in the 2-0 win over Livingston four days ago, and after receiving the ball from Swankie on the left, he shot low and hard at goal, with it this time going wide.

Queens had the best chance of the game to take the lead when Scott Robertson set up Sean O'Connor. All the forward had to do was keep the shot down but he took it too quickly and the ball ended up in the stand. In the 59th minute Manager Alex Rae was booked for a foul on former Hibs player Steven Dobbie. It wasn't too long before Queen's Scott Robertson was himself booked for a challenge from behind on Rae.

Dundee continued to press forward under pressure from QOS, with a Swankie free kick being headed just wide of the right hand post by Gary McKenzie. Queens again picked up a booking in the 67th minute when Warren Moon was carded for a challenge from behind on Dees Scott Robertson. Queens, and more specifically Jamie McQuilken had the chance to test keeper Roy but his shot was weak and easily picked up by the home stopper.

In a game in which both teams struggled to get a foothold, Dundee should have done better when Bobby Mann's clearance from defence saw Paul Dixon released down the left, his ball into the box ran right across the goal mouth, with no-one able to connect.

In the 74th minute both teams made changes, with Scott Robertson being replaced by John O'Neil for Queens, and Robert Campbell replacing Alex Rae for the Dee. From a long Dixon throw-in the ball broke to Gavin Swankie, whose shot fell straight into the arms of keeper Scott.

Brian Clark came on in the 83rd minute for Swankie to make only his second appearance for the club. While lan McCall brought off Steven Dobbie who was replaced by Graham Weir.

In the last five minutes both teams had the chance to kill the tie off. A Paul Dixon free kick from the left wing was headed on by Bobby Mann. Brian Clark had the perfect chance to get his name on the score sheet in only his second game, but his angled shot from the edge of the area was cleared off the line by the Doonhammers defence.

With two minutes to go Neil Scally's shot fell straight to Roy, who dropped the ball when it looked as if any danger had been cleared. The follow up shot from Graham Weir looked to be heading to the back of the net with Roy stranded but somehow the ball trickled out for a goal kick.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at January 6th, 2007)

2006-07 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 17 - 17 -
Bobby Mann32 171945
Paul Dixon20 23 - 622
Gary Mackenzie21 10 - 10 -
Alex Rae37 213213
Danny Griffin29 18 - 18 -
Scott Robertson21 231763
Jay Shields21 6 - 6 -
Ross Harris22 201201
Gavin Swankie23 218248
Derek Lyle25 167167
Brian Clark (sub)18 2 - 2 -
Robert Campbell (sub) - 181181

League Table (as at January 6th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good afternoon and welcome to our Tennent's Scottish Cup third round match with Queen of the South.

Looking back on the Livingston game, it really was the proverbial game of two halves.

First half we were pretty poor, I thought we were all over the place and we said to the players at half time that we needed people to stand up and be counted, and they did that I thought we started the second half well, and the goal obviously settled us a little bit. I was really pleased with the response the players gave us in the second half.

Livingston were pushing forward to try and get back into the game which kind of opened it up a little bit for us, and that suits wee Deasley and guys like him, it was very pleasing to get the result because we were down to bare bones for the match.

They got a bit of fortune the last time they were here when it ricocheted off their player and looped over our keeper and we got that wee bit of luck this time, although I thought if it hadn't hit the guy (Dave Mackay) then there was someone coming round the back to finish it for us anyway.

I'm just glad that we got the three points, because it keeps us going, we've been making it difficult for teams to come here and get points off us and that's a good starting point - we just need to add a few bodies over the next few weeks to give these boys a break, because it's asking a lot from them.

We're hoping to add to the squad, we've only got fifteen recognised first team players and two of them are keepers so we want to increase the squad. We've also let a few boys go and we'll have to replace them, we've got the money budgeted for them and they're not here now so it's a matter of getting guys in to replace them, but getting in new faces is difficult and takes a lot of work.