Queen of the South 3
Dundee 3 (4-2 on pens)
Scottish Cup (3rd Round Replay)

Queen of South 

3 - 3
(4-2 on pens.)


Scottish Cup (3rd Round Replay)
Tuesday, January 16th, 2007
Palmerston Park
Attendance: 2,037
7:45 PM Kick-off

Stephen Dobbie (40)
Stephen Dobbie (69)
Sean O'Connor (86)
Derek Lyle (48)
Bryan Deasley (82)
Derek Lyle (87)

Team Managers
Ian McCall Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Barry John Corr
2. Jamie McQuilken
3. Jim Lauchlan
4. Jim Thomson
6. Eric Paton
6. Neil Scally
7. Paul Burns
8. John O'Neill
9. William Gibson
10. Stephen Dobbie
11. Sean O'Connor
Ludovic Roy .1
Danny Griffin .2
Gary Mackenzie .3
Gary Smith .4
Paul Dixon .5
Jay Shields .6
Scott Robertson .7
Alex Rae .8
Gavin Swankie .9
Derek Lyle .10
Bryan Deasley .11

12. Colin Scott
15. Mark Whorlow
15. Scott Robertson
16. Graham Weir
17. Murray Henderson
Callum Reidford .12
Bobby Mann .14
Kevin McDonald .15
Ross Harris .16
Robert Campbell .17

Scott Robertson for John O'Neill (62)
Graham Weir for Stephen Dobbie (80)
Murray Henderson for Sean O'Connor (105)
Kevin McDonald for Danny Griffin (77)
Robert Campbell for Gavin Swankie (115)
Bobby Mann for Scott Robertson (119)

Paul Burns (16)
Stephen Dobbie (69)
Derek Lyle (42)
Gary Mackenzie (100)
Alex Rae (107)
Jay Shields (110)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Crawford Allan (Referee)

Match Report

"I'm disappointed, especially for the fans who traveled down here, they've got to travel back up to Dundee and it's a long way after being beaten," said manager Alex Rae after Dundee had exited the Tennent's Scottish Cup via a penalty shoot out after a cracker of a tie in Dumfries.

"I thought it was a fantastic effort to come back three times", said Rae

"And I thought we'd done enough to win, I thought we'd go on from there, but it just never happened, Penalties is never a nice way to lose."

Dundee had indeed stormed back from behind three times, the initial goal from Stephen Dobbie in 40 minutes having given Queen of the South a fully deserved half time lead, but Dundee upped the pace after the break and leveled on 49 minutes.

Swankie and Dixon combined on the left before the latter fed Deasley deep inside the home penalty area, the youngster shaped to shoot, then laid the ball into the path of Derek Lyle who smashed an eight yarder into the roof of the net.

Queens went ahead again in 70 minutes and again it was Dobbie who did the damage, with a low shot to put his side 2-1 up.

Dundee weathered a storm of home pressure following that goal and gradually worked their way back into the match, leveling in 82 minutes through Bryan Deasley's beautifully placed header from Swankie's cross.

Three minutes later it appeared as if extra time wouldn't be needed as Sean O'Connor drove home a loose ball following a corner, but Dundee weren't finished yet and with two minutes left they forced the extra period Paul Dixon drove down the left and whipped in a low cross which found Lyle, he shaped to shoot then took a step to the side and picked his spot for his second of the night and third of the tie to spark wild scenes of jubilation as the players rushed to celebrate with the ecstatic traveling fans.

Extra time was perhaps inevitably somewhat quieter than that frantic finish, but there were thirty seconds of frantic and breathtaking action, a corner from the left saw Gary Smith slash at a clearance only to see it come back off the inside of his own post, Dundee immediately switched play to the other end and substitute Kevin McDonald raced clear only to see Barry John Corr pull off a great save to prevent Dundee taking the lead.

Then came the drama of penalties, Paul Burns and Bobby Mann scored the initial spot kicks before Ludovic Roy saved Eric Paton's attempt. Derek Lyle hit the post with Dundee's next effort to level things up. Jim Thomson then put Queens 2-1 ahead in the shoot out and watched as Gary Smith's effort was saved by Corr.

The subsequent attempts by homester Willie Gibson and Dundee's Paul Dixon found the net, leaving Neil Scally with the task of putting his side through to a home tie with Cowdenbeath which he accomplished with aplomb.

The result leaves Dundee looking at a second half of the season with no tangible reward for their efforts in sight, they are making progress under Alex Rae and Dave Farrell but only the wildest optimist could dream of them catching runaway league leaders Gretna, and it appears to be a case of bedding in new players for next season's campaign and trying to get as far up the league as possible.

There is likely to be new blood in the Dark Blue ranks when they again face Queen of the South on Saturday, with new signing Paul McHale, Kevin Smith and Bob Davidson available after missing out on this game due to their signing's not taking place before the first match of the tie, two of those are of course strikers and their arrival and the added competition for places it brings may already have started to pay dividends for Rae.

Dundee's best performers at Dumfries in this cup match were Lyle and Deasley who both scored and looked lively throughout.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at January 16th, 2007)

2006-07 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 18 - 18 -
Paul Dixon20 24 - 632
Gary Mackenzie21 11 - 11 -
Gary Smith35 8181
Danny Griffin29 19 - 19 -
Alex Rae37 223223
Scott Robertson21 241773
Jay Shields21 7 - 7 -
Bryan Deasley18 153346
Derek Lyle25 179179
Gavin Swankie23 228258
Bobby Mann (sub)33 181955
Kevin McDonald (sub)18 211544
Robert Campbell (sub) - 191191

League Table (as at January 16th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.