Dundee 1
Queen of the South 0
League (First Division)

1 - 0
Queen of South 

League (First Division)
Saturday, January 20th, 2007
Dens Park
Attendance: 3,360
3:00 PM Kick-off

Derek Lyle (48)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
Ian McCall

Starting Eleven
1. Ludovic Roy
2. Jay Shields
3. Gary Mackenzie
4. Gary Smith
5. Paul Dixon
6. Kevin McDonald
7. Scott Robertson
8. Paul McHale
9. Gavin Swankie
10. Derek Lyle
11. Kevin Smith
Barry John Corr .1
Murray Henderson .2
Jim Lauchlan .3
Jamie McQuilken .4
Paul Burns .5
Warren Moon .6
Eric Paton .7
Neil Scally .8
Wullie Gibson .9
Stephen Dobbie .10
Sean O'Connor .11

12. Callum Reidford
14. Danny Griffin
15. Bryan Deasley
16. Robert Davidson
17. Ross Harris
Ross Hyslop .12
Jim Thomson .14
John O'Neill .15
Graham Weir. 16
Scott Robertson .17

Robert Davidson for Gary Smith (61)
Bryan Deasley for Derek Lyle (79)
John O'Neill for Warren Moon (55)
Graham Weir for Sean O'Connor (65)
Scott Robertson for Paul Burns (69)

Gary Mackenzie (30)
John O'Neill (72)
Eric Paton (88)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Scott MacDonald (Referee)
Brian Colvin & Craig Marshall (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee recorded their first win over Queen of the South in three games, all of which have been played in the last 14 days. After losing out to the Doonhammers midweek, it was a vital goal from Derek Lyle which handed the Dees all three points.

Queens came out of the blocks seemingly raring to go, winning a free kick in the Dundee half in the first minute, unfortunately for Warren Moon, his shot from the edge of the area went straight into the wall. The Doonhammers where again awarded a free kick in the third minute when Gary McKenzie fouled Jamie McQuilkan. Eric Paton shot went wide from 30 yards out

Dundee finally came into the game in the fourth minute when play through midfield from Lyle, Robertson and Kevin Smith allowed Gavin Swankie to get a cross into the box. The ball was headed back towards goal by Scott Robertson but his headed effort was cleared off the line by the QOS defence. Minutes later a Gavin Swankie corner drifted goal wards with stand-in Queens keeper Barry John Corr picking the ball out of the air as the ball looked as though it may sneak in. From the clearance Jamie McQuilkan won a free kick in his own half when Jay Sheilds tackle was late

Ian McCall's men though they had taken the lead in the 22nd minute when Sean O'Connor netted from close range. Queens had fed a free kick into the box
which was headed goal wards by Steven Dobbie allowing O'Connor to pass the ball into an empty net. But the linesman rules offside, keeping the teams level. Dundee new-boy Kevin Smith then. received the ball from Derek Lyle, after making a run into the box he shot wide. In the 26th minute a Scott Robertson pass found Kevin McDonald in space, but the teenager saw his header again fall just wide of the mark.

The Doonhammers had their best chance of the half in the 29th minute when they won a free kick from just past the half way line after Gary McKenzie's challenge was deemded to be late. The ball was floated into the box by Warren Moon's, where the ball was headed clear at the near post by Gary Smith. From the corner, Scott Robertson made a run from the half way line into the QOS hall, he was brought down by Jim Laughlan, but Paul Dixon's resultant free kick was saved at the post by keeper Corr.

The first half created little chances for either side, but just before the break Moon's pass found Dobbie, but just as he was about to pull the trigger Gary Mackenzie cleared the ball from his feet. Then a Jay Shields header back to Ludovic Roy was short, giving Dobbie the perfect chance for a run on goal, but the ex-Hibs man slipped, allowing keeper Roy to clear any danger.

The start to the second half was almost more eventful than the whole of the first half. Swankie passed to Dixon on the left wing whose cross was cleared from the box, but Paul McHale picked the ball up, with his attempt on goal going just over the crossbar.

It took Dundee just two second half minutes to take the lead. Gavin Swankie's free kick from the left wing was headed over the keeper by Lyle to make it 1-0, his fourth goal in three games against the Doonhammers in just 14 days! Dundee then had a penalty claim denied by referee Scott McDonald. Kevin Smith made a run into the box and fell under a challenge from Eric Paton, but McDonald waved play on despite protests by the Dundee fans

Dundee continued to heap the pressure on the visitors when Scott Robertson created room for himself while coming in from the wing, his pass to Derek Lyle allowed the striker to shoot, but the ball was deflected wide. The resultant corner from Swankie was saved on the line by Barry John Corr

lan McCall then decided to freshen things up when Warren Moon was hauled off in place of Graham O'Neil. Former QOS player Derek Lyle had the chance to put the game completely beyond the visitors in the 59th minute. His pass to Kevin Smith was switched to Swankie, his ball into the box was met by Lyle who skied the ball from barely four yards out. Dundee then introduced another new signing, with Bob Davidson replacing Kevin Smith. QOS also completed their changes with Graham Weir replacing Sean O'Connor and Scoot Robertson replacing Paul Burns. In the 72nd minute play down the right wing between Jay Sheilds and Kevin McDonald allowed Scott Robertson to pass to Lyle on the edge of the box, his shot was cleared by Corr but the ball fell to Dixon, who shot

wide of the far post. With jus over 10 minutes to go goalscorer Lyle was replaced by mid-week scorer Bryan Deasley. He made an immediate

impact, creating three good chances to kill the game off. The first chance came after he won the ball at the half way line after a clearance from a Queen's corner. He continued his run through to the 18- yard box but he scuffed at the shot allowing the danger to be cleared for the visitors. Minutes later, after a pass from Jay Shields allowed Deasley to make his mark. As he then ran along the 18-yard line trying to find the space to take the shot on goal, he was forced into the shot, but the deflected ball fell into the arms of awaiting keeper Barry John Corr.

Just into stoppage time Murray Henderson fouled Deasley on the left wing. From the resulatant free kick the ball was cleared. Kevin McDonald then chased onto a punt up the park from Gary Smith, winning the ball from Jamie McQuilkan. His pass into the box found Bob Davidson, his lay-off to Deasley saw the youngster able to pick his spot, but he shot well over the bar with the goal at his mercy.

The only caution of the game came in the 71st minute when Queen's Graham O'Neil was booked for a late challenge on Jay Shields.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at January 20th, 2007)

2006-07 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 19 - 19 -
Paul Dixon20 25 - 642
Gary Mackenzie21 12 - 12 -
Gary Smith35 9191
Kevin McDonald18 221554
Paul McHale25 1 - 1 -
Jay Shields21 8 - 8 -
Scott Robertson21 251783
Derek Lyle25 18101810
Kevin Smith19 1 - 1 -
Gavin Swankie23 238268
Robert Davidson (sub)20 1 - 1 -
Bryan Deasley (sub)18 163356

League Table (as at January 20th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

The journey home from Dumfries on Tuesday evening was a long one for everyone after being knocked out of the cup and especially for all our fans who had made the trek south.

Having found ourselves trailing three times, I thought it was a fantastic effort to come back and being honest, I thought we'd done enough to win.

When you score three goals away from home, you expect to go through and once we got to extra-time, I thought we'd go on from there, but it just never happened.

The guys showed great character to fight back, but, when it boils down to penalties, it's purely potluck and going out that way is never nice.

This afternoon we get a chance of instant revenge as we welcome Queen of the South back to Dens Park for what is the third consecutive fixture against Ian McCall's side.

A boost for us is the availability this afternoon of our three new signings - Paul McHale, Kevin Smith and Bob Davidson - none of whom was eligible to face Queens in the two cup-ties.

I was delighted that Clyde agreed to let Paul McHale come to us right away after he had initially agreed a pre-contract agreement to join us next term.

I am delighted to get Paul on board because despite only being 25, he has got a lot of experience and has impressed me as Clyde's captain.

He has a presence about him and possesses the type of winning mentality we are looking for at this club and I am sure that he'll be a valuable addition to our squad.

The arrival of Kevin Smith on loan from Sunderland and Bob Davidson from Rangers will ease the burden on our limited resources up front.

We've really been functioning with only two recognised main strikers in Bryan Deasley and Derek Lyle, and it is an area we have been desperate to strengthen, so I am delighted that we have been able to bring in two strikers.

Kevin Smith has been on loan at Wrexham, so his fitness shouldn't be a problem.

Bob Davidson is a player I know from my own time at Ibrox and who has an excellent scoring record at youth and reserve levels. I have watched him for a while and believe he'll also be a good addition to the squad.

Disappointing as it is to be out of the cup, we just have to dust ourselves down and get on with it. We need to get that defeat out of our system right away and try and climb as high as possible up the table. And following Tuesday's defeat, we have been working hard on lifting the players' spirits in readiness for today's game from which we are desperate to take three points.