Partick Thistle 2
Dundee 1
League (First Division)


2 - 1


League (First Division)
Saturday, April 14th, 2007
Firhill Stadium
Attendance: 2,433
3:00 PM Kick-off

Adam Strachan (17)
Derek Young (53)
Derek Lyle (22)

Team Managers
Jimmy Bone Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Jonathan Tuffey
2. Scott Boyd
3. Mark McChrystal
4. Craig Sives
5. John Robertson
6. Barry Smith
7. Billy Gibson
8. Derek Young
9. Jimmy Gibson
10. Adam Strachan
11. Mark Roberts
Ludovic Roy .1
Jay Shields .2
Danny Griffin .3
Gary Smith .4
Paul Dixon .6
Kevin McDonald .6
Alex Rae .7
Gavin Swankie .8
Dyron Daal .9
Derek Lyle .10
Robert Davidson .11

12. Kenny Arthur
14. Brown Ferguson
15. Sandy Hodge
16. Sam Morrow
17. Allan Russell
Scott Gates .12
Kevin Smith .14
Brian Clark .15
Craig Forsyth .16
Craig Higgins .17

Sandy Hodge for Craig Sives (70)
Sam Morrow for Derek Young (83)
Allan Russell for Mark Roberts (89)
Kevin Smith for Robert Davidson (31)
Brian Clark for Kevin Smith (84)

Jimmy Gibson (57) Jay Shields (71)
Alex Rae (90)

Red Cards
None. Alex Rae (90)

Match Officials

Willie Collum (Referee)

Match Report

Alex Rae completed an unwanted double as he was sent off at Firhill for the second time this season, the Dens player boss receiving a second yellow card and a subsequent red in the final minute of the contest for a tackle on Partick's Jimmy Gibson as the Thistle man broke from defence.

Rae had been booked in the first half for bringing down Mark Roberts and could have walked soon afterwards for another challenge on the same player, but referee William Collum deemed that the Thistle player's reaction to the challenge was over the top and gave Rae a final warning.

From that moment until the 90th minute Rae was a model of self control in the face of considerable provocation, but as Dundee pressed in search of a late equaliser Gibson nicked the ball off him and Rae's tackle from behind to try to retrieve the situation was always likely to bring a second yellow, and to the delight of the home support he took the long walk they had been requesting vociferously since his first card.

The Dark Blues were missing Paul McHale due to the injury picked up in training in midweek and Rae brought in top scorer Derek Lyle to play a midfield role against a home side who had former Dens skipper Barry Smith in a defensive midfield role.

Dundee were lively in the opening minutes and Rae came close in four minutes when he zipped a shot from the edge of the box inches wide.

But while Dundee were doing the pressing it was Thistle on the break who were creating the better chances and Strachan should have scored when he sclaffed a shot wide after a one-two with Derek Young in ten minutes, and in thirteen minutes Mark Roberts brought Ludovic Roy into action, the keeper getting down well to deny the striker.

Three minutes later the home side were ahead, John Robertson raced down the right and whipped in a cross which appeared easy for Jay Shields to clear, but the young full back didn't handle it well and allowed the ball to reach Adam Strachan who took a touch and lashed a ten yarder high into the net.

Dundee hit back and were level midway through the half, Gavin Swankie curled in a cross from the left which was only half cleared and Derek Lyle pounced on the edge of the box to lash a low drive past home keeper Jonathan Tuffey.

The Thistle goalie would be announced as man of the match later and he was in action again in 27 minutes when a beautifully flighted through ball from Rae gave a chance to Dyron Daal, Tuffey getting down to his right to pull off a fine stop.

That would be Daal's last real involvement, the striker falling heavily as he got his shot away and, although he tried to run off the knock, the rest of his afternoon would be spent sitting on the bench with an ice pack strapped to his knee.

His loss wasn't immediately felt as Dundee dominated until the break-with Swankie twice denied by smart saves from Tuffey, but the home side were quickest out of the blocks in the second period and took the lead in 53 minutes.

Mark Roberts lofted a through ball which caught Danny Griffin off balance and although the defender managed to half clear the ball fell kindly for Derek Young and the former Dunfermline man controlled it well and fired low past Roy.

Dundee pushed forward almost continually from that point, but without Daal lacked a cutting edge, and Thistle's breaks always looked more likely to bring reward, the home side could have been further ahead and the keeper's reactions were needed again late on to deny substitute Sam Morrow.

Then came that second yellow card for Rae, and while the player/manager rightly claimed afterwards that he had only "committed three fouls in the match" the referee was technically. correct with both cards, and although Rae had showed restraint for a long time after his initial booking it was always the case that another foul from. the player/boss was going to see him dismissed.

Rae thought too that Dundee had done enough for a share of the points and had "given as good as we got" but these are the sort of games where points need to be picked up by a side aiming for promotion. Dundee have gained more reward in tight games this season than last, but they need to improve that record considerably if a promotion challenge is to materialise next season.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at April 14th, 2007)

2006-07 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 31 - 31 -
Paul Dixon20 35 - 742
Gary Smith36 211211
Danny Griffin29 26 - 26 -
Kevin McDonald18 322655
Alex Rae37 273273
Jay Shields21 20 - 20 -
Dyron Daal23 5555
Robert Davidson21 133133
Derek Lyle26 28142814
Gavin Swankie23 359389
Brian Clark (sub)19 4 - 4 -
Kevin Smith (sub)20 8 - 8 -

League Table (as at April 14th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.