Dundee 2
Queen of the South 1
League (First Division)

2 - 1
Queen of South 

League (First Division)
Saturday, August 11th, 2007
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,023
3:00 PM Kick-off

Robert Davidson (pen.) (13)
Robert Davidson (75)
Sean O'Connor (35)

Team Managers
Alex Rae
Gordon Chisholm

Starting Eleven
1. Ludovic Roy
2. David Worrell
3. Danny Griffin
4. Milan Palenik
5. Paul Dixon
6. Frédéric Daquin
7. Scott Robertson
8. Kevin McDonald
9. Gavin Swankie
10. Jan Zemlik
11. Robert Davidson
Jamie MacDonald .1
Eric Paton .2
Andrew Aitken .3
Liam Atkin .4
Jamie McQuilken .5
Paul Burns .6
Neil Scally .7
Neil MacFarlane .8
Brian Gilmour .9
Stephen Dobbie .10
Sean O'Connor .11

12. Craig Samson
14. Gary Mackenzie
15. David O'Brien
16. Paul McHale
17. Jani Šturm
Stephen Grindlay .12
Neil McGowan .14
Scott Robertson .15
David Bingham .16

David O'Brien for Frédéric Daquin (64)
Paul McHale for Gavin Swankie (89)
Jamie Mole for Stephen Dobbie (73)

Scott Robertson (27)
Robert Davidson (76)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Steve Conroy (Referee)

Match Report

The weather played its part as Dundee ran out 2-1 winners over Queen of the South in their opening home Irn-Bru League fixture of the season.

Two goals by Bob Davidson, with an equaliser in- between by Sean O'Conner, sealed the three points for Alex Rae's men as they built on their CIS Insurance League Cup win over Morton.

Although throughout the game Gordon Chisholm's men created very little in clear-cut goal-scoring opportunities, they were given the first chance in the fourth minute when goal-scorer O'Conner squared the ball across the box to Paul Burns who looked set to shoot, but quick thinking from Gavin Swankie sent the ball clear of any danger.

O'Conner proved that he was in the mood for a goal again minutes later when he got on the end of a Brian Gilmore corner. However his header flew over the crossbar. Gilmore then had his own chance although he failed to evade the offside trap. Six-foot seven striker Jan

Zemlik then got himself involved in the action after build-up play from Scott Robertson. He skipped past Jamie McQuilken but ref Steve Conroy called a foul. Zemlik however was not to be undone, when in the thirteenth minute he was fouled needlessly by Andy Aitken, leaving Conroy pointing to the spot. Davidson got his first of the day and first of the season as he hit the ball into the left hand corner to take the lead, 1-0.

Scott Robertson scored two goals in the opening day fixture against Livingston and looked like scoring on several occasions here. In the eighteenth minute a sweet ball through from Zemlik set Robertson up but his goal-bound shot was tipped away by visiting keeper Jamie McDonald for a corner. Swankie's resultant corner was then headed just wide of the post by Zemlik.

Mid-week goal-scorer Gavin Swankie set up Zemlik with a cross from the left, but the big Czech striker's goal bound glancing header found keeper McDonald in form, tipping the ball over the crossbar. Zemlik was again to be unlucky moments later as from Gavin Swankie's corner, his header fell wide of the net.

It was the twenty-seventh minute before Queen's mounted any real fight-back with a Brian Gilmore free kick going close. Gilmore's initial free kick was cleared by Scott Robertson, but the unlucky midfielder was booked for his efforts. Gilmore's free kick was then taken a few feet forward, and this time he left Ludo scrambling as his shot whistled past the right up- right.

Gordon Chisholm's side did however level things up before the interval as Sean O'Conner made the most of slack defending in the thirty-fourth minute. Eric Paton's ball into the box looked to be heading into the safety of the on-rushing Ludo Roy's arms, but O'Conner was left to head into an empty net as Ludo failed to hold the ball.

As was with the CIS Cup fixture against Morton, Dundee started brightly in the second half as they built on the possession they had. Gavin Swankie won the ball from Brian Gilmore just after the whistle, his pass back found Paul Dixon in space, with his high ball into the box setting up Zemlik for his first league goal of the campaign. Unfortunately his header again was just wide of the mark.

Paul Dixon then created one of the best moments of the second half as he collected the ball in space almost thirty yards out, he unleashed a screaming shot which looked to be beating keeper McDonald all the way to the back of the net. But although the ball left McDonald stranded, the post was to take some beating this time, with Dixon's shot crashing back off the upright.

In the sixty-third minute David O'Brien came on in place of former Dunfermline winger Freddie Daquin.

Dundee continued to search for the winner but Queen's were not to be undone, and in the sixty-fifth minute Stephen Dobbie's free kick from thirty yards out caused a moment of worry as Ludo was forced down at his right post to clear for a corner. Danny Griffin was almost left hanging his head in his hands
in the 69th minute as the Irish defender misjudged his pass back, allowing Stephen Dobbie to get in between Griffin and Milan Palenik, and with Ludo off his line the ex-Hibs striker looked on to give his team the lead but somehow his chipped shot ran wide.

David O'Brien made his way down the left in the 71st minute as he made his way forward from the half way line to the by-line, his cross in however was stuck under the feet of Gavin Swankie as he tried to put his shot away. Zemlik then hit the side netting with a header.

Davidson scored his second and Dundee's winner in the 72nd minute to keep all three points at Dens. Swankie's long run down the left allowed him to fire a perfectly weighted ball into the area. Zemlik failed to connect but waiting near the back post, Davidson picked up the ball and lashed a shot high into the net above keeper McDonald. Amidst the goal celebrations Davidson was booked by referee Steve Conroy for leaving the field of play.

With fifteen minutes remaining the Dumfries side tried to pick up the pace in a bid to leave with something to show for the ninety minutes. Neil Scally, Jamie Mole and Neil McFarlane all had headers go close in the remaining minutes but it was David O'Brien who came closest o getting his name on the score sheet. Davidson's slight tough sent O'Brien through towards goal, he stepped inside the defence before unleashing a curling shot from just inside the box, but the game was to end 2-1 as O'Brien's shot skimmed past the post.

Match report written by Joanna Topping - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at August 11th, 2007)

2007-08 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)29 3 - 36 -
David Worrell29 3 - 3 -
Milan Palenik - 2 - 2 -
Paul Dixon20 3 - 792
Scott Robertson22 32896
Danny Griffin30 3 - 31 -
Kevin McDonald18 3 - 705
Gavin Swankie23 314310
Robert Davidson21 22175
Frédéric Daquin28 3 - 3 -
Jan Zemlik29 3131
Paul McHale (sub)25 2 - 141
David O'Brien (sub)23 3 - 3 -

League Table (as at August 11th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Following last Saturday's opening day win at Livingston, our highly encouraging and solid start to the season continued when we progressed to the second round of the CIS Cup by beating Morton on Tuesday evening.

It was very much a game of two halves.

I was disappointed by our first half performance because we never had a great tempo.

And whilst defensively we didn't have any real problems, it made for dull viewing which was a bit disappointing because we are looking to set a tempo, to get our supporters on board and right behind us as soon as possible.

However, to be fair to the players, they really got at them after the break and that was very pleasing.

In that context the match was similar to the one at Livingston, and I'd like them to start the games in the same way as we have started the second half of our first two matches.

If we do that we'll create a lot of fear amongst the teams in this division.

Perhaps the most pleasing aspect and the big difference this season to last is that we do now have considerable strength in depth.

You only have to look at the boys I was able to bring on in Tuesday's tie.

Del' Lyle could have had a couple of goals, and Paul McHale and David O'Brien also did well when they came on.

Though they didn't start they will be important in the weeks and months ahead, because they give us much-needed competition for places, something that we desperately lacked last term!

For example, Bob Davidson was the unlucky one against Morton not getting on and although Gary MacKenzie missed out because he was suffering from a cold, Milan Panelik's international clearance came through in time for him to play, giving us even greater strength in depth.

The fact is that we now have such a good squad of players, most of the guys on the bench on Tuesday would get into the starting eleven at most First Division teams.

Gary will be back in contention for this afternoon's visit by Queen of the South, and obviously with everyone involved on Tuesday doing so well it gives me the nicest of selection headaches - who to leave out!

Last season we had some real battles with the Dumfries side with honours even in the league meetings, but they just edged things by beating us on penalties in the Scottish Cup replay down there.

Whilst they will again be very difficult opponents, hopefully, we can make it three wins out of three.