St Johnstone 1
Dundee 1
League (First Division)

St Johnstone 

1 - 1


League (First Division)
Saturday, August 18th, 2007
McDiarmid Park
Attendance: 6,079
3:00 PM Kick-off

John Stewart (47) Frédéric Daquin (76)

Team Managers
Owen Coyle Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Alan Main
2. Steven Anderson
3. Kevin Rutkiewicz
4. Allan McManus
5. Andrew Lawrie
6. Derek McInnes
7. Martin Hardie
8. John Stewart
9. Paul Sheerin
10. David Weatherston
11. Peter MacDonald
Ludovic Roy .1
David Worrell .2
Gary Mackenzie .3
Milan Palenik .4
Paul Dixon .5
Frédéric Daquin .6
Scott Robertson .7
Kevin McDonald .8
Gavin Swankie .9
Jan Zemlik .10
Robert Davidson .11

12. Kevin Cuthbert
14. Byron Baal
15. Jamie McCluskey
16. Dyron Daal
17. Andy Jackson
Craig Samson .12
Danny Griffin .14
Paul McHale .15
David O'Brien .16
Jani Šturm .17

Jamie McCluskey for Peter MacDonald (63)
Dyron Daal for David Weatherston (74)
Andy Jackson for John Stewart (80)
David O'Brien for Robert Davidson (89)
Jani Šturm for Gavin Swankie (89)

Paul Sheerin (35) Jan Zemlik (61)
Gavin Swankie (67)
Scott Robertson (70)
Jan Zemlik (90)

Red Cards
Martin Hardie (61) Jan Zemlik (90)

Match Officials

Alan Freeland (Referee)
Richard Gough & John McCrossan (Assistants)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Freddie Daquin's first competitive goal in Dark Blue earned Dundee a point from McDiarmid Park in a match which saw both sides end the ninety minutes with only ten men, Saints' Martin Hardie and Dundee's Jan Zemlik being red carded. Saints had taken the lead just a minute into the second half when John Stewart slid home Sheerin's cross.

Freddie hammered home the equaliser from just inside the penalty area with fourteen minutes to go, the Frenchman reacting quickest after referee Alan Freeland had waved away a penalty claim for handball.

Saints had to make a late change when Goran Stanic picked up an injury in the warm up, but for all the pre-match talk of a Perth injury crisis he was the only first choice player missing for Coyle's men apart from long term injury victims Kevin James and 'Savo' Milne - former Dee Dyron Daal was on the bench. For Dundee only the suspended Derek Lyle and on loan Craig Sives were unavailable and Alex Rae made only one change to the side which had started against Queen of the South at Dens. That was Gary Mackenzie in for Danny Griffin, and the youngster would turn in a tremendous performance.

Dundee's biggest travelling support for a league match since relegation were in fine voice as the game got underway but there was little to cheer from either set of fans in the 6,079 crowd in the early stages.

Indeed Saints didn't have a shot of any threat during that spell, while Dundee came close only once, Scott Robertson firing a low long range shot just wide after the midfielder had been teed up by Zemlik.

Freddie Daquin was enjoying his best game in Dark Blue though and he twice raced at the Saints defence, the first saw his cross just missed by Zemlik and Davidson and the second brought a yellow card for Sheerin who felled the winger as he burst down the right.

Saints first effort on target in 36 minutes hit the bar but it wasn't via a home striker but rather Dens defender Milan Palenik who miscued his clearance from a David Weatherston cross and had to watch as the ball looped back off the crossbar. Peter MacDonald was following up but David Worrell did superbly well to block his effort.

With three minutes remaining of the first period the home side should have been ahead, fine interplay between Weatherston and John Stewart saw the latter in on goal but as he picked his spot Scott Robertson appeared to get in a fantastic blocking challenge.

The first half had been reasonably evenly balanced, with Dundee perhaps having the better of the possession, but Saints had made the best two chances of the match thus far and they showed that they had their shooting boots on now by going ahead just a minute after the break.

Kevin Rutkiewicz slid a ball wide to Sheering wide on the left, sand he sent in a fine dipping cross which Stewart slid past Ludovik Roy and into the net to the delight of the home support.

To this point Dundee hadn't made a clear cut chance but they upped the pace after going behind and nine minutes into the second half they should have been level, Gavin Swankie's corner from the left evaded all the big men and fell beautifully for Bob Davidson but last week's hero fired his eight yard effort just wide of the goal.

Three minutes later and a great ball from Palenik found Swankie and he raced down the left before cutting the ball across goal, Zemlik flicked it to Robertson at the edge of the box but his powerful effort was blocked.

On the hour mark Jan Zemlik was booked after appearing to have been brought down by Rutkiewicz, Mr Freeland deciding that the player was guilty of simulation.

Mr Freeland was increasingly busy as the pace of the game got faster and a minute after showing Zemlik that yellow he had a card of another colour in his hand, with St Johnstone's Martin Hardie seeing red after his elbow left Gary Mackenzie coughing up blood.

The cards were flying out of the referee's pocket now and Gavin Swankie and Scott Robertson picked up yellows in quick succession before Davidson again came close to scoring for Dundee.

The striker got on the end of a great Swankie free kick but from just six yards out headed over much to the relief of Alan Main and his defence.

It was beginning to look as if the home side would hold out to end their winless start to the season, and their central defence of Rutkiewicz and Anderson were performing heroics as Dundee turned the screw but with fourteen minutes left Freddie Daquin opened his account for the season and rescued a point for Dundee.

Swankie's corner was headed down by Mackenzie and Scott Robertson blasted in a shot which was blocked with a hand, many of the players stopped as the penalty appeals went in but Freeland appeared oblivious to the extra goalkeeper in the home side, luckily Freddie hadn't stopped to appeal the decision and his rapped fifteen yarder flew into the top corner taking a deflection off a defender on it's way into the net.

Dundee came close again as Daquin's corner fell at the feet of Milan Palenik but the Czech was denied his first Dundee goal by a magnificent stop from Alan Main who smothered the defender's pint blank flick to keep the scores level.

The final moments saw parity of numbers restored as Mr Freeland adjudged that Zemlik had used a trailing arm to impede an opponent and gave him a second yellow and subsequent red card.

Match report written by Joanna Topping - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at August 18th, 2007)

2007-08 All Time
Ludovic Roy (GK)30 4 - 37 -
Paul Dixon20 4 - 802
Gary Mackenzie21 3 - 27 -
Milan Palenik - 3 - 3 -
David Worrell29 5 - 5 -
Kevin McDonald18 4 - 715
Scott Robertson22 42906
Frédéric Daquin28 4141
Robert Davidson21 32185
Gavin Swankie23 414410
Jan Zemlik29 4141
David O'Brien (sub)23 5 - 5 -
Jani Šturm (sub)25 4141

League Table (as at August 18th, 2007)

No league table has been added for this season.