Huntly 1
Dundee 3
Scottish Cup (4th Round)


1 - 3


Scottish Cup (4th Round)
Saturday, January 12th, 2008
Christie Park
Attendance: 2,500
3:00 PM Kick-off

Keith Reid (77) Kevin McDonald (28)
Eddie Malone (81)
Frédéric Daquin (90)

Team Managers
Unknown. Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Stewart Gray
2. Andy Bissett
3. Michael Morrison
4. Craig Dorrat
5. Bruce Cormie
6. Hamish Monro
7. Alan Redford
8. Mark Gray
9. Neil Murray
10. Russell Guild
11. Colin Robertson
Craig Samson .1
David Worrell .2
Eddie Malone .3
Milan Palenik .4
Paul Dixon .5
Frédéric Daquin .6
Scott Robertson .7
Kevin McDonald .8
Paul McHale .9
Jan Zemlik .10
Robert Davidson .11

12. Ross Bremner
14. Adam Maitland
15. Craig Cunningham
16. Alan Duncan
17. Keith Reid
Ludovic Roy .12
Jani Šturm .14
Derek Lyle .15
Gavin Swankie .16
David O'Brien .17

Jani Šturm for Robert Davidson (54)
David O'Brien for Paul Dixon (66)
Derek Lyle for Jan Zemlik (70)

Andy Bissett (80) Paul Dixon
Milan Palenik

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Craig Mackay (Referee)
Matt Northcroft & Graham Fraser (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee returned from the trip North with their Scottish Cup place still intact but it was their Highland League opposition who took all the credit from a match where the Dark Blues rarely got out of first gear. Huntly kept their shape even after falling behind to Kevin McDonald's opening goal and were briefly dreaming of a replay when Keith Reid equalised with thirteen minutes remaining. A fine free kick from Eddie Malone dashed those dreams though and Freddie Daquin sealed the win with a last minute strike.

Bob Davidson and Jan Zemlik were up front for the Dark Blues as the match kicked off on a surprisingly good surface considering the recent weather and heavy pre-match showers.Freddie Daquin too was in the starting eleven, while Derek Lyle and Gavin Swankie dropped to the bench.

The home side were lively early on and Russell Guild dragged an effort wide of the target before Dundee had settled and they had another half chance when Robertson went down the line and crossed for Comrie to shoot, his effort was deflected and drifted just wide.

Alex Rae's men hit back and on eight minutes David Worrell raced forward and fed the ball to Kevin McDonald who fired a low shot into the side netting.

Gradually Dundee got on top and, with Huntly sitting deep and packing their goal area, the Dee began to get the ball to Daquin with some success, the Frenchman skipped past Murray in 25 minutes and put in a low cross which found Paul McHale, the midfielder's low drive being well held by keeper Stewart Gray.

Four minutes later the breakthrough came, and again Daquin was involved, racing down the right before firing in a great cross which found McDonald, his initial goalbound effort was blocked by Murray but the ball broke back to the Scotland Under 21 man and he made no mistake with his second effort from five yards.

McDonald tried to turn provider after 35 minutes with a run down the left and a low cross which Jan Zemlik slid onto but the striker's effort was just wide of the target.

Daquin was on the run again as the half time whistle approached and when he hit the byeline his cross found McDonald who rapped a shot just past the post.

Half time came with Dundee looking comfortable but the Highland side came out after the interval determined to make a real game of it, and with the help of some slack play by the Dark Blues they managed to give Dundee a scare.

It was the Dee who created the first chance after the interval though, Paul Dixon surging forward and firing a low drive which Gray, who was growing in stature as the game went on, held.

In 50 minutes Guild found Comrie in a dangerous position, but Scott Robertson managed to nick the ball away from the striker.

Dundee were appearing to lose their way and Alex Rae made changes, with the first being Bob Davidson replaced by Jani Sturm on 55 minutes.

Paul McHale came close when Eddie Malone played a free kick short to the midfielder, firing his low effort just wide of the goal in 66 minutes and a minute later Dundee made a second change, David O'Brien making a first team comeback after injury when he replaced Paul Dixon.

On 69 minutes Robertson ran onto a pass from Zemlik and fired a left foot shot which Gray again got down well to save and soon afterwards Derek Lyle replaced the big Czech up front.

He was quickly involved and almost in a decisive manner, spinning to play a delightful ball through to Jani Sturm who had timed his run perfectly to beat the offside trap, the Slovenian bore in on goal and seemed certain to score, but was denied by a superb, brave save from Gray, who was turning in a man of the match display.

The home custodian was in action again in 76 minutes, making a fine stop from McDonald's effort after Sturm had got to the line and cut back, Lyle's dummy making space for McDonald, and that save looked vital a minute later as Huntly shocked Dundee with an equaliser.

The Highland League side won a free kick on the right and when Colin Robertson swung it in Keith Reid was on hand to net with a diving header which was perfectly placed in the bottom corner to give Craig Samson no chance and send the home crowd wild.

Dundee tried to up the pace to restore their lead but Lyle's 79th minute header from Worrell's cross looped harmlessly over.

Two minutes later they were back in front though after Scott Robertson was brought down by Andy Bissett 25 yards out at the end of a surging solo run which had seen him go past three opponents.

Eddie Malone strode up to take the free kick and curled a beauty into the top left corner of the net, to the relief of the travelling support and his team- mates.

Huntly charged forward to try to level again and Reid teed up Robertson on the edge of the box but as the midfielder pulled the trigger David Worrell appeared to make a wonderful block.

As Huntly tried to press Dundee were now getting more space and they took advantage as the match entered the final minute, Daquin rounding off the scoring by stabbing home Lyle's cross to secure the Dee's passage into the fifth round and an away tie at Motherwell.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at January 12th, 2008)

2007-08 All Time
Craig Samson (GK)23 22 - 22 -
Eddie Malone22 111111
David Worrell30 23 - 23 -
Paul Dixon21 24 - 1002
Milan Palenik - 223223
Paul McHale26 221342
Scott Robertson22 2551119
Kevin McDonald19 24109115
Jan Zemlik30 202202
Frédéric Daquin29 212212
Robert Davidson21 2273710
David O'Brien (sub)23 101101
Derek Lyle (sub)26 2055020
Jani Šturm (sub)25 212212

League Table (as at January 12th, 2008)

No league table has been added for this season.