Hamilton Academical 1
Dundee 0
League (First Division)


1 - 0


League (First Division)
Saturday, March 15th, 2008
New Douglas Park
Attendance: 5,078
3:00 PM Kick-off

James McArthur (18) None.

Team Managers
Billy Reid Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Tomas Cerny
2. David Elebert
3. Mark McLaughlin
4. Simon Mensing
5. Brian Easton
6. Alex Neil
7. Tony Stevenson
8. James McArthur
9. Mark Gilhaney
10. David Graham
11. Richard Offiong
Craig Samson .1
David Cowan .2
Gary Mackenzie .3
Eddie Malone .4
Paul Dixon .5
Paul McHale .6
Patrick Noubissie .7
Kevin McDonald .8
David O'Brien .9
Colin McMenamin .10
Mickaël Antoine-Curier .11

12. Bryn Halliwell
14. James Gibson
15. James McCarthy
16. Andy Waterworth
17. James Grady
Ludovic Roy .12
Robert Davidson .14
David Worrell .15
Derek Lyle .16
Frédéric Daquin .17

James McCarthy for David Graham (69)
Andy Waterworth for Richard Offiong (81)
James Grady for Mark Gilhaney (81)
David Worrell for Gary Mackenzie (66)
Derek Lyle for David O'Brien (71)
Robert Davidson for Patrick Noubissie (83)

Brian Easton (62)
Alex Neil (78)
Eddie Malone (15)
Paul McHale (25)
Colin McMenamin (25)
Mickaël Antoine-Curier (25)
Paul Dixon (53)
Mickaël Antoine-Curier (53)
Kevin McDonald (85)

Red Cards
None. Mickaël Antoine-Curier (53)

Match Officials

Mike Tumilty (Referee)
Kevin Clancy & Jeff Banks (Assistants)

Match Report

A James McArthur goal was enough to give Hamilton a win in the top of the table clash at New Douglas Park.

Mickael Antoine-Curier was sent off after picking up two yellow cards, the second for a gesture to the home goalkeeper pointed out to the referee by linesman Jeff Banks.

The match kicked off with a record crowd inside New Douglas Park, including near 2000 travelling fans who gave the side excellent vocal support from the off.

Hamilton tried to set the early pace and won their first corner in the third minute and Richard Offiong rose to win a header from the set piece but directed it wide.

Both sides were sizing each other up and there was little in the way of chances in the opening minutes. On thirteen minutes Dundee broke and Kev McDonald plays O'Brien in behind the defence with a fine through ball, The winger had two strikers in support and picked out McMenamin at the back post but the hitman fired his effort well wide of the target.

Just a minute later Eddie Malone was the first player to pick up a yellow card, penalised for a mistimed challenge.

It seems that the majority of Hamilton's goals in fixtures between the clubs on the plastic at New Douglas Park have come from set pieces on the left and when they took the lead in eighteen minutes it came from exactly that scenario.

The Accies won a free kick five yards in from the left touchline and when the ball came in it was flicked goalwards by David Graham, Craig Samson got down well to palm the ball away but lurking at the back post was James McArthur and the midfielder stabbed the ball home from close range.

Four minutes later came a moment that would have a telling effect on this game and also ramifications for the next couple of Dundee games.

Colin McMenamin chased a 50-50 ball with Tomas Cerny, the Dundee striker made contact with the ball as the players met and the impact floored the keeper. This sparked a reaction from the home side with five Accies players surrounding McMenamin, Antoine-Curier jumped in to defend his outnumbered team-mate before referee Mike Tumility arrived to restore order.

He booked McMenamin for the challenge on the keeper and then also yellow carded Antoine- Curier for facing up to the five home antagonists. He chose, though, not to caution any of that mob of home players and then produced a fourth Dundee yellow card of the afternoon for captain Paul McHale who appeared to question his unequal distribution of coloured plastic over the incident.

Dundee were pressing more now though and O'Brien again hit the line in 24 minutes, his cut- back was half cleared as far as Kevin McDonald on the edge of the penalty area but his shot lacked power and Cerny got down to save relatively comfortably.

The home side were the more likely though and McArthur found Gilhaney in space, the winger turned inside and fired a right foot shot which Samson gets across well and holds.

On thirty six minutes Cowan crossed from deep on the right and when Antoine- Curier nodded down to McHale his cut back was volleyed inches over from just outside the six yard yard box McMenamin.

Paul McHale was the only other player with a significant effort as the half drew to a close but his long range effort was some distance off target.

Dundee forced three quick corners five minutes into the second half and there was fall out from the third of these which ended with a foul awarded for pulling on David Elebert by Antoine-Curier, both players had been at the capers with Elebert's arm draped around Antoine-Curier's neck at the time of the challenge. As the players moved away Cerny tried to engage Antoine-Curier in conversation and when the Frenchman waved away the talkative keeper tent side linesman Jeff Banks spotted it and called over the main official who raced to the Dens striker and administered a red card.

Two minutes later Paul Dixon was next to be booked but despite being down to ten men it was Dundee who would do most of the pressing from this point onwards, though with little subtlety.

In fifty six minutes Malone played free kick into the box and after a bout of head tennis the ball fell to McDonald on the edge of the area, Cerny got down well to save the youngster's snap shot.

Another Dundee corner brought further handicap for the Dark Blues as Gary Mackenzie was floored with a blow to the face, after treatment the centre back tried to resume but soon went down again and was replaced by David Worrell.

Midway through the half Simon Mensing brought down a long ball forward with Craig Samson doing well to tip his shot over.

In 67 minutes Alex Rae sent on Derek Lyle to replace O'Brien but the next chance would againfall to former Motherwell man Mensing, he got in behind Dundee's defence and fired a low shot off the base of the post.

Easton tried his luck from just outside the box shortly after that Mensing chance but his shot was just too high.

With ten minutes to go Bob Davidson was introduced replacing Patrick Noubissie and two minutes later Kevin McDonald became the sixth Dundee player to collect a yellow card.

Former Dee James Grady was on now for the home side and he pounced on a wayward pass but Craig Samson rushed from his goal to rescue the situation.

As the match entered the final minute Paul McHale twisted and turned in the area, but just as it looked as if he might trouble the keeper he tumbled when challenged by Mensing, the Dens midfielder and the away support howled for a penalty but Tumility, correctly, waved away their protests and soon after blew the final whistle.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at March 15th, 2008)

2007-08 All Time
Craig Samson (GK)23 30 - 30 -
David Cowan26 8 - 8 -
Paul Dixon21 31 - 1072
Gary Mackenzie22 30 - 54 -
Eddie Malone22 211211
Kevin McDonald19 32109915
Paul McHale26 302423
Patrick Noubissie24 3 - 3 -
David O'Brien24 171171
Mickaël Antoine-Curier25 6868
Colin McMenamin27 7575
David Worrell (sub)30 27 - 27 -
Robert Davidson (sub)21 3084511
Derek Lyle (sub)27 2565521

League Table (as at March 15th, 2008)

No league table has been added for this season.