Partick Thistle 1
Dundee 0
League (First Division)


1 - 0


League (First Division)
Tuesday, April 1st, 2008
Firhill Stadium
Attendance: 2,426
7:45 PM Kick-off

Mark Roberts (88) None.

Team Managers
Ian McCall Alex Rae

Starting Eleven
1. Jonathan Tuffey
2. Willie Kinniburgh
3. Marc Twaddle
4. Kevin McKinlay
5. John Robertson
6. Simon Storey
7. David Rowson
8. Scott Chaplain
9. Gary Harkins
10. Simon Donnelly
11. Damon Gray
Craig Samson .1
David Cowan .2
Gary Mackenzie .3
Eddie Malone .4
Paul Dixon .5
Frédéric Daquin .6
Patrick Noubissie .7
Kevin McDonald .8
David O'Brien .9
Derek Lyle .10
Mickaël Antoine-Curier .11

12. Craig Hinchcliffe
14. Ricky Little
15. Ryan McStay
16. Stevie Murray
17. Mark Roberts
Ludovic Roy .12
David Worrell .14
Gavin Swankie .15
Brian Clark .16
Jani Šturm .17

Stevie Murray for Kevin McKinlay (46)
Mark Roberts for Damon Gray (59)
Gavin Swankie for David O'Brien (66)

Simon Donnelly (65)
Gary Harkins (90)
Derek Lyle (66)
David Cowan (83)
Kevin McDonald (88)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Steven Nicholls (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee's promotion chances took a big blow when they lost to a late Mark Roberts goal at Firhill. Home side Partick Thistle had performed well in the second half after being battered by a positive Dundee side in the opening forty five minutes, and the catalyst for their comeback was the introduction of winger Stevie Murray at the interval he gave Dundee's defence a torrid time and Partick created the bulk of chances in the second half.

The best chance though fell to Dundee and to the normally deadly feet of Mickael Antoine-Curier, he made space in the box drew the keeper and curled his shot round him, the large travelling support rose to acclaim the strike only for their cheers to die in their throats as the effort slipped just wide.

It was a miss that would be punished late on with both sides chasing a winner as Roberts played a neat one- two and slotted home with just two minutes to go to earn the home side the points.

Dundee went forward from the kick off and in the second minute Mickael Antoine-Curier chested down a long ball before turning and firing in a shot which was deflected for a corner and with 12 minutes gone Noubissie fired a cross in which Antoine-Curier managed to control but behind him and he was crowded out before he could get a shot in.

The Dark Blues were pressing as the rain poured from the Glasgow sky but they were struggling to create real chances, a free kick on the left hand wing from Eddie Malone found Gary Mackenzie but he couldn't make good enough contact to send it goal bound Minutes afterwards Mackenzie was in action at the other end, cutting out a pass to stop Gray getting through for Partick.

Dundee continued to go forward and Kevin McDonald play the ball across the front of the box to Dixon who fired his shot well over the bar.

With half an hour gone Antoin-Curier laid the ball back to the edge of the box and Freddie Daquin hammered in a shot but it hit off McDonald and went wide.

The game was heating up and Thistle had a good chance after a cross from deep is headed towards goal the effort went wide, Dundee broke forward and Dixon chipped a ball into the box which Daquin just missed at the back post.

With four minutes left of the half a David Cowan cross from the right saw Antoine-Curier challenge, the ball broke to Paul Dixon who's shot blazed over.

Dundee were charging forward as the break approached and the best chance of the half came in 43 minutes, a Dixon long ball over the top was flicked on by Lyle and Antoine-Curier volleyed over as keeper Tuffey came out.

There was still time for more action as Dixon's cross found Antoine-Curier and his low effort through a crowd of legs was turned brilliantly round the post by Tuffey.

From the resultant comer the ball broke to Lyle on the edge of the area and he hammered in a rising shot which was destined for the top corner until Tuffey got across to save.

Ian McCall introduced Stevie Murray to the action at the break and Thistle were far more positive from the off, four minutes in Damon Gray got in a shot, but Craig Samson got down well to save.

Dundee were being pushed back but broke quickly in 55 minuts, Dixon cross was dummied by Lyle but Antoine- Curier couldn't get proper contact to get a shot in.

Two minutes later the Dee broke again and there was a real chance for David O'Brien when Antoine-Curier created space for the winger, he cut inside but his right footed effort was too high.

The fifty-eighth minutes saw the moment that defied belief as Daquin played in Antoine-Curier who went past a challenge, drew Tuffey and curled his effort inches wide - The striker was exactly the person that every Dundee fan would have wanted to have the chance and the 1000 away support couldn't believe that he hadn't scored

Two minutes later there came a moment of even higher drama as referee Steven Nicholls pointed to the spot after Murray went down under Cowan's challenge. Gary Mackenzie questioned assistant Stephen Allan who then called the senior official over - An extended conversation followed which ended with Mr Nicholls overruling his penalty award and restarting the match with a drop ball.

That was a let off for Dundee but it appeared to fire the home side up more, Dundee almost immediately introduced Gavin Swankie for David O'Brien, but with Kevin McDonald pushing up to support the strikers the former Arbroath man rarely got licence to burst forward.

The next chance fell to the Dark Blues as McDonald ripped past the Thistle left back but his low ball across the box didn't find Lyle at the near post or Swankie at the back stick.

David Rowson hit back with a low drive wide of the post in 78 minutes before Swankie had a shot deflected for a comer and then Kevin McDonald was denied by a great saving tackle after some fine combination play.

With four minutes to go Craig Samson came to the rescue when Gavin Swankie was short with a back pass, but two minutes later Dundee's title hopes took a hit as Thistle scored the winner.

Fittingly, given his contribution to the second half, Murray was involved, he found Roberts in the box and the striker slid his effort under Samson to dismay the Dark Blues.

Match report written by Tommy Young - Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at April 1st, 2008)

2007-08 All Time
Craig Samson (GK)24 33 - 33 -
Eddie Malone22 241241
David Cowan26 11 - 11 -
Paul Dixon21 34 - 1102
Gary Mackenzie22 33 - 57 -
Kevin McDonald19 351110216
David O'Brien24 202202
Patrick Noubissie24 6 - 6 -
Mickaël Antoine-Curier25 7878
Frédéric Daquin29 333333
Derek Lyle27 2865821
Gavin Swankie (sub)24 3037012

League Table (as at April 1st, 2008)

No league table has been added for this season.