Celtic 2
Dundee 1
Scottish Cup (4th Round)


2 - 1


Scottish Cup (4th Round)
Saturday, January 10th, 2009
Celtic Park
Attendance: 23,070
3:00 PM Kick-off

Scott Brown (37)
Aiden McGeady (44)
Colin McMenamin (14)

Team Managers
Gordon Strachan Jocky Scott

Starting Eleven
1. Artur Boruc
2. Glenn Loovens
3. Stephen McManus
4. Lee Naylor
5. Paul Caddis
6. Marc Crosas
7. Scott Brown
8. Shunsuke Nakamura
9. Aiden McGeady
10. Scott McDonald
11. Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink
Robert Douglas .1
David Cowan .2
Jim Laughlan .3
Craig McKeown .4
Eddie Malone .5
Frédéric Daquin .6
Eric Paton .7
Andrew Shinnie .8
Chris Pozniak .9
David O'Brien .10
Colin McMenamin .11

21. Mark Brown
5. Gary Caldwell
29. Koki Mizuno
19. Barry Robson
9. Giorgos Samaras
Ludovic Roy .12
Kyle Benedictus .14
Paul McHale .15
Darren Williams .16
Mickaël Antoine-Curier .17

Barry Robson for Marc Luque Crosas (64)
Giorgos Samaras for Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (70)
Paul McHale for Chris Pozniak (68)
Mickaël Antoine-Curier for Andrew Shinnie (78)
Kyle Benedictus for David Cowan (90)

Scott Brown (80) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Calum Murray (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee lined up with the same starting eleven for the third time in a row. The 4-5-1 again saw Eric Paton take up the defensive midfield role and Colin McMenamin in place as the lone striker. They came up against a strong Celtic side that included Aiden McGeady making his come back after a club suspension and other top stars Boruc and Nakamura among others.

The first couple of minutes were pretty uneventful as both sides tried to hold onto the ball and Dundee did well holding their own. The first chance almost fell to David O'Brien when a long Jim Lauchlan ball was into his path but the winger couldn't get it under control and Celtic and Scotland captain Stephen McManus got the ball clear. The first real chance unsurprisingly came for the home side and it was to be the first of many near misses.

McGeady got wide left and his cross fell at the back post to Nakamura via the head of Jim Lauchlan and the Japanese international had time before side footing the ball right at Rab Douglas in the Dundee goal. The match continued in the same manner as it had started with a well organised Dundee side keeping Celtic at bay and in the 14th minute stunned the entire stadium after a Celtic corner.

Nakamura floated it across and Celtic seemed to think it was heading out only for O'Brien to pick it up and head up the left hand side. The winger played a long ball forward towards lone striker McMenamin and as Boruc came for and missed the ball all the Dundee man had to do was roll it into the empty net.

That sent the 1800 traveling supporters wild as grumbles about yet another Boruc error came from the home fans. Celtic tried to hit back from distance through Crosas but Douglas was equal to it. Dundee kept the ball well and although Celtic were on top they struggled to trouble their former keeper right away.

The next chance came as they broke away from a Dundee corner and with options left and right striker Scott McDonald dragged his shot wide of Rab's goal. Nakamura then drilled a free kick in which Brown turned towards goal and it was again just wide of the Dundee post.

McDonald then turned away from Craig McKeown well as Celtic broke again but his shot was cleared thanks to a blocked from Lauchlan. Brown then had another chance as Celtic kept up the pressure and after 35 minutes Dundee resilience was finally broken with a goal from Brown.

He took off down the left with a burst run from midfield and when his cut back found McDonald and the Australian's shot was blocked Brown was on hand to take a touch a slot it past Douglas from six yards out. Celtic kept pressing and Hesselink headed wide before almost being gifted a goal when Douglas blasted the ball off the striker but David Cowan got to the ball first.

Three minutes from the break and Celtic did have the lead. McGeady got down the left and cut back inside before curling an unstoppable shot into the top corner. Celtic didn't stop their pressure and by the time the next three minutes had been played out Dundee were happy for the break.

The second period started the same as the first had been

played out with Celtic having chances through McDonald and Loovens. Dundee had a rare push forward when O'Brien got down the left and played the ball across but Pozniak just couldn't turn it into the net and Boruc got down well to hold. Thirty seconds later and Celtic came close to doubling their lead. Right back Paul Caddis rocketed a shot at goal from a wide right position in the box and Douglas got a strong hand behind it to push it round the post.

McGeady and McDonald both came close again for the home side the latter with a headed effort. Dundee did have another chance just after the hour mark with goal scorer McMenamin getting the ball just outside the box and turning before firing a low shot wide.

Both sides then made a couple of changes, former Dundee United player Barry Robson getting a noisy reception from the traveling Dees. Paul McHale replaced Pozniak in central midfield and Samaras came on for Celtic.

The Dundee fans were calling for Mickael Antoine Curier and with fifteen minutes remaining they got their wish, on loan Rangers man Andrew Shinnie was replaced. Three minutes later Dundee broke from a Celtic corner and McMenamin was dragged back by Scott Brown with Curier bursting into space.

McDonald then had another chance to put the game to bed but when he turned away from Lauchlan he could only curl his shot past the post. Substitute Samaras had a couple of chances and McManus headed wide before Dundee won a throw in right in the corner and almost snatched a draw.

McMenamin who put in a good shift all day battled past Naylor and crossed towards Curier in the center. Curier didn't make contact but Boruc fumbled the ball and had it dropped any other way could well have gone into the net. As it was, McManus was on hand to clear the ball.

David Cowan was ordered from the field due to cutting his head open and youngster Kyle Benedictus replaced him for the final minute. He only had one task and that was shepherd the ball away from the impressive McGeady who could have added another before the final whistle.

As the referee blew the final whistle the Dundee players headed to the corner to salute the great Dundee support who could still be heard singing long after the players had left the field.

Match report written by Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at January 10th, 2009)

2008-09 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)36 21 - 154 -
David Cowan26 12 - 26 -
Jim Laughlan31 5 - 5 -
Eddie Malone23 22 - 501
Craig McKeown23 16 - 16 -
Eric Paton30 204204
Chris Pozniak28 211211
David O'Brien24 19 - 432
Andrew Shinnie19 6 - 6 -
Frédéric Daquin30 18 - 553
Colin McMenamin27 152278
Kyle Benedictus (sub)17 4 - 4 -
Paul McHale (sub)27 151584
Mickaël Antoine-Curier (sub)25 2073116

League Table (as at January 10th, 2009)

No league table has been added for this season.