Dunfermline Athletic 1
Dundee 1
League (First Division)


1 - 1


League (First Division)
Tuesday, March 31st, 2009
East End Park
Attendance: 2,382
7:45 PM Kick-off

Calum Woods (90) Eddie Malone (61)

Team Managers
Jim McIntyre Jocky Scott

Starting Eleven
1. Paul Gallacher
2. Austin McCann
3. Scott Peter Wilson
4. Calum Woods
5. Scott Thomson
6. Nick Phinn
7. Alex Burke
8. Stephen Glass
9. David Graham
10. Graham Bayne
11. Jamie Mole
Robert Douglas .1
Eric Paton .2
Kyle Benedictus .3
Jim Laughlan .4
Eddie Malone .5
Mark Gilhaney .6
Darren Williams .7
Colin Cameron .8
David O'Brien .9
Mickaël Antoine-Curier .10
Colin McMenamin .11

12. Greg Paterson
14. Scott Muirhead
15. Greg Shields
16. Andy Kirk
17. Steven Bell
Ludovic Roy .12
Chris Pozniak .14
Frédéric Daquin .15
Darren Young .16
Bryan Deasley .17

Greg Shields for Scott Wilson (46)
Andy Kirk for Jamie Mole (49)
Steven Bell for Alex Burke (68)
Frédéric Daquin for David O'Brien

Alex Burke (27)
Stephen Glass (75)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Dougie McDonald (Referee)

Match Report

Dundee were forced into two changes from the team that drew with Ross County on Saturday with red cards for both Paul McHale and Gary Mackenzie meaning they both missed out. Darren Williams and Kyle Benedictus were the men who came into the starting line up. There was a little bit of surprise at the position taken up by one on the incoming players. Williams at right back, with Eric Paton moving forward into the central midfield position next to Colin Cameron.

Up front Colin McMenamin was available for selection despite being rated doubtful and took his place next to strike partner Mickael Antoine Curier. In front of a poor crowd both sides took to the park in search of all three points, Dundee looking to keep up some sort of pressure on leaders St. Johnstone as their promotion hopes hung in the balance. Dunfermline were setting out in hope of recording their first home win of 2009.

The first half was a series of wasteful final balls and poor corners as both sides matched up evenly and failed to find a way through.

After a couple of those poor corners, Dunfermline had the first effort on goal when David Graham burst forward from midfield and when he was fouled the ball fell to ex Dee Graham Bayne who took advantage but could only muster up a weak effort that was held by Douglas.

Dundee's first and best effort of the half came from the stand out man in Dark Blue. Mark Gilhaney who had come into the team due to the absence of Giorgos Efrem and Andrew Shinnie who are away on international duty, got the ball wide right and cut inside before forcing Paul Gallacher into a save with his low drive.

McMenamin and Eddie Malone both got free on the wing as Dundee tried to turn a short spell of pressure into a lead but neither could find a Dark Blue shirt in the box. Gilhaney then won a free kick which Paton fired well over the top and McMenamin couldn't get on the end of a low O'Brien ball into the middle.

Despite Dundee's possession around the Pars box they failed to create any real chances and Dunfermline broke away and almost took the lead. Graham got to a ball forward just before Lauchlan and played in Jamie Mole who was at full pace and bearing down on goal when Douglas came racing from his area to clear.

There was time for one last surge forward for Dundee and Paton played Curier out wide right but when he took a touch too many in the box Dunfermline cleared.

Dundee came out flying in the second half and almost to the lead right away. Malone was played up the left and his low cross was missed by Curier at the front post and cleared before it reached McMenamin at the back post.

Gilhaney had the next chance when he cut inside from the right again and flashed a shot inches wide with Gallacher beaten. Dunfermline's first chance of the half was the closest anyone had come. Nicky Phinn beautifully kept the ball up in the area before flicking it over Douglas only to see it come off the top of the bar.

Phinn had another effort that was well wide but Dunfermline's spell of pressure indicated the match was already a much better affair after the break.

Soon after Dundee took the lead. McMenamin put in some great effort before lifting the ball towards the back post. Dunfermline right back Austin McCann tried to chest the ball back to his keeper but Gilhaney nipped in to first control the ball then drag it back for Eddie Malone who found himself in an unlikely position, right infront of the empty goal where he only had to tap it home.

Minutes later Douglas spilled a Phinn shot and did well to recover with Bayne lurking. The ex Dundee striker went over as Douglas grabbed onto the ball but the referee waved play on, Gilhaney then tested Gallacher and Dunfermline sub Steven Bell saw a drive across goal held by Douglas after a good run in the box.

Dundee then had their best chance to put the game to bed. McMenamin found himself in a great position on the left of the box and forced Gallacher into a great save. The ball fell back to the Dundee striker and he turned it across goal to his partner Curier but stretching forward could only head wide.

Jocky Scott replaced O'Brien with Freddie Daquin but another massive disappointing ending was just around the corner and Dundee conceded a late goal for the third game in a row.

The ball found it's way to Calum Woods who with the home crowd shouting for him to shoot drifted past Colin Cameron before striking the ball past Douglas from out side of the area to give Dunfermline a point.

Match report written by Tommy Young - Dundee Matchday Programme

Squad Statistics (as at March 31st, 2009)

2008-09 All Time
Robert Douglas (GK)36 32 - 165 -
Eric Paton30 314314
Eddie Malone23 321602
Kyle Benedictus17 8 - 8 -
Darren Williams31 17 - 17 -
Jim Laughlan32 11 - 11 -
Colin Cameron36 7 - 7 -
David O'Brien25 24 - 482
Colin McMenamin28 2653811
Mickaël Antoine-Curier26 31154224
Mark Gilhaney24 20 - 20 -
Frédéric Daquin (sub)30 22 - 593

League Table (as at March 31st, 2009)

No league table has been added for this season.