Motherwell 0
Dundee 1
League (Premiership)


0 - 1


League (Premiership)
Saturday, February 21st, 2015
Fir Park
Attendance: 4,282
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. Paul McGinn (12)

Team Managers
Ian Baraclough Paul Hartley

Starting Eleven
1. George Long
5. Simon Ramsden
6. Stephen McManus
44. Anthony Straker
45. Louis Laing
14. Keith Lasley
24. Marvin Johnson
47. Conor Grant
9. John Sutton
19. Lee Erwin
22. Craig Moore
Scott Bain .12
Willie Dyer .3
James McPake .5
Paul McGinn .19
Thomas Konrad .4
Kevin Thomson .10
Stephen McGinn .48
Jim McAlister .20
Alex Harris .47
Paul McGowan .18
Greg Stewart .15

13. Dan Twardzik
20. Fraser Kerr
18. Josh Law
4. Stuart Carswell
7. Lionel Ainsworth
26. Dom Thomas
46. Nathan Thomas
Kyle Letheren .1
Matty Allan .34
Kevin McBride .8
Gary Harkins .29
Andrew Black .24
Craig Wighton .33
David Clarkson .16

Nathan Thomas for Marvin Johnson (43)
Dom Thomas for Craig Moore (59)
Lionel Ainsworth for John Sutton (74)
Gary Harkins for Paul McGowan (81)
David Clarkson for Greg Stewart (83)

Simon Ramsden (53) None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Don Robertson (Referee)
Willie Conquer & Raymond Whyte (Assistants)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee made it eight games undefeated with a straightforward win at Fir Park this afternoon. The only goal of the game might have been a freakish effort by Paul McGinn, but the Dark Blues were on top throughout and Scott Bain didn't have a save to make.

Dundee made three changes after last week's win over Partick Thistle. Gary Irvine, Kosta Gadzhalov and Paul Heffernan all dropped out through injury. Willie Dyer, Kevin Thomson and Greg Stewart all came into the starting line-up.

In the previous matches this season Motherwell have made life tough for themselves by conceding an early goal. After 12 minutes it happened again, and it was the sort of goal that teams suffer when they're short of form and luck.

Kevin Thomson swept a free kick out to the right wing where Paul McGinn and Alex Harris were up against the solitary, isolated Johnson. McGINN worked his way past the Well midfielder, playing a quick one-two with Harris, then whipped the ball over the head of startled keeper George Long and into the top corner. His almost apologetic celebration confirmed what everyone in the ground knew; he'd been attempting a cross.

Dundee had been looking the more confident, composed side and the goal helped to emphasise the difference between the teams. Well were nervous and making errors all over the park while Dundee were pressing hard and using the ball much more calmly and effectively.

Shortly after the goal a fast break out of defence ended with Paul McGowan shooting narrowly wide from 25 yards. Motherwell managed to force a wee spell of pressure midway through the half but the Dundee defence always looked in charge.

As the half wore on Dundee looked increasingly dangerous, and Motherwell were fortunate not to concede again in a frantic spell just before the break. Their defence was disorganised and verging on panic as Dundee probed for a goal. McGowan seemed to have been fouled in the penalty area when he was bundled over from behind as he controlled a pass, but the surprising decision by the referee was that there was no foul.

Dundee took control again after the break and seemed sure to add to their lead. Alex Harris was highly effective on the right and was giving Straker a tough time. The young winger had a fierce volley blocked for a corner, then switched wings to set up Stewart, whose shot was well saved by Long. Harris moved back to the right and left Straker stranded with a blistering run down the wing that ended with him driving the ball into the goalmouth, where it was begging to be turned into the net, before being hacked clear. Harris kept driving at the unfortunate Straker and flashed a shot over the bar after turning the full back inside out.

Willie Dyer put in some effective runs down the left in the second half. From one he played a good ball in for Stewart to turn and shoot, but again Long saved.

Motherwell were desperately short of confidence and ideas. Dundee were winning the 50-50 balls in midfield, and the home side were struggling to find anything that would worry the Dee defence.

When Motherwell did manage to take the ball into the final third they invariably lost it quickly and an equaliser always looked far less likely than a further Dundee goal on the break. In contrast Dundee looked comfortable with the ball in the Motherwell half and looked dangerous throughout.

As the clock ran down Paul Hartley replaced McGowan and Stewart with Harkins and Clarkson. Motherwell had a few corners in the later stages, but Dundee dealt with them well. There was no late charge or surge of pressure. Motherwell looked a deflated and defeated team long before the end.

Today's win was a good, solid, professional display. The defence was well organised and highly effective throughout the whole game and thoroughly deserved their second successive clean sheet. The midfield was hard working, determined and dominated their disjointed opponents. In attack Stewart showed great control and vision, and the combination of Alex Harris and Paul McGinn on the right was a pleasure to watch.

Right from the start Dundee looked like a team that believed they would win today. Their confidence was fully justified. More goals would have been nice, but a sixth away win of the season, and a comfortable win at that, was highly satisfactory.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at February 21st, 2015)

2014-15 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)23 18 - 18 -
Thomas Konrad25 272272
Paul McGinn24 282282
James McPake30 281281
Willie Dyer27 15 - 41 -
Kevin Thomson29 18 - 18 -
Paul McGowan27 261261
Alex Harris20 8181
Jim McAlister29 31111511
Stephen McGinn26 4 - 4 -
Greg Stewart24 29142914
Gary Harkins (sub)30 28412829
David Clarkson (sub)29 198198

League Table (as at February 21st, 2015)

No league table has been added for this season.