Dundee 1
Kilmarnock 2
League (Premiership)

1 - 2

League (Premiership)
Saturday, October 24th, 2015
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,970
3:00 PM Kick-off

Rhys Healey (76)
Josh Magennis (9)
Steven Smith (48)

Team Managers
Paul Hartley
Gary Locke

Starting Eleven
1. Scott Bain
6. Daryll Meggatt
19. Paul McGinn
3. Kevin Holt
5. James McPake
29. Gary Harkins
17. Nick Ross
7. Greg Stewart
23. Rhys Healey
9. Rory Loy
15. Kane Hemmings
Jamie MacDonald .21
Steven Smith .3
Stuart Findlay .5
Mark O'Hara .14
Kevin McHattie .22
Conrad Balatoni .26
Craig Slater .19
Rory McKenzie .7
Kallum Higginbotham .11
Greg Kilte .23
Josh Magennis .28

46. Kyle Gourlay
2. Gary Irvine
26. Kostadin Gadzhalov
4. Thomas Konrad
8. Nicky Low
18. Paul McGowan
20. Riccardo Calder
Mark Ridgers .1
Lee Ashcroft .18
Darryl Westlake .12
Jamie Hamill .4
Tope Obadeyi .16
Scott Robinson .8
Kris Boyd .9

Kostadin Gadzhalov for Daryll Meggatt (46)
Paul McGowan for Gary Harkins (52)
Nicky Low for Kane Hemmings (52)
Tope Obadeyi for Greg Kiltie (63)
Kris Boyd for Josh Magennis (67)
Scott Robinson for Rory McKenzie (78)

Daryll Meggatt (8)
Kevin Holt (24)
Nick Ross (50)
Greg Stewart (57)
Josh Magennis (20)
Kallum Higginbotham (56)
Steven Smith (63)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Andrew Dallas (Referee)
Douglas Ross & Joseph Lawson (Assistants)
Kevin Graham (Fourth Official)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee succumbed to their second home defeat of the season, as a resurgent Kilmarnock looked an entirely different proposition to the team that Dundee disposed of in the season opener. Goals from Josh Magennis and Steven Smith propelled Kilmarnock to a two-goal lead before Rhys Healey scored his first goal for The Dark Blues. Despite mounted pressure during the last 15 minutes - a comeback never quite materialised and Kilmarnock deservedly took all 3 points back to Ayrshire.??

Dundee made a couple of changes to the team that earned a point away to Hamilton last week: Daryll Meggatt coming in for his first start for Dundee replacing the injured Julen Etxabeguren whilst Ricardo Calder made way for Kane Hemmings. The ambitious, attacking line-up will have whetted the appetite of Dundee fans looking for fluid, exciting football that was akin to the season opener back in August.

Kilmarnock were quick out the blocks and had a succession of early chances. In as early as the 6th minute Josh Magennis latched on to a through ball and as the angle narrowed he delivered a powerful low drive which Scott Bain did well to palm away. The Dundee stopper was down receiving treatment a minute later as Magennis played in the ball between the oncoming Greg Kiltie and the outrushing Bain leaving both players in a heap.

Magennis was already causing the new central pairing of McPake and Meggatt problems and with almost ten minutes on the clock the later misjudged the bounce of the ball and handled to smother any chance of a Killie player nipping in. Meggatt picked up a yellow for his troubles, which meant for the rest of the game he had to be careful going into the challenge. The resultant free kick was played out to Higginbotham on the right who delivered a probing ball into the box that JOSH MAGENNIS brilliantly steered into Bain’s left corner – a superb header by any standards.

The Dee’s first notable effort on goal came via Gary Harkins on 17 minutes but his 25-yard low shot failed to really trouble MacDonald and rolled just wide of the post. At this stage the Dundee fans were already airing frustrations and the Killie defence offered little space in behind and as the forward line chased balls into impenetrable areas – gaps were starting to appear in the midfield.

The first-half descended into a somewhat scrappy affair where Kilmarnock edged out Dundee in winning most 50-50 challenges and second-balls. Greg Stewart tried to lift The Dee on 28 minutes when he collected from well inside the Dundee half and swanned the length of the pitch, dropped his shoulder on the edge of the box and curled a trademark effort just wide of MacDonald’s far post.

Kilmarnock finished the half on top with a double-fire effort from Josh Magennis cannoning off Kevin Holt who stood up well to both attempts.

At half-time Kostadin Gadzhalov replaced Daryll Meggatt, who was already on a booking, but a real change of shape wasn’t implemented until Dundee found themselves 2-0 down. Rory Mackenzie did the groundwork that set up STEVEN SMITH who blasted in a magnificent long-range effort from 25 yards to leave Scott Bain well beaten and The Dee a second half mountain to climb.

The second goal was the catalyst for change and Nicky Low and Paul McGowan soon replaced Kane Hemmings and Gary Harkins. This meant that Dundee resorted to a more balanced formation and the possession game began to slowly swing into Dundee’s favour. The midfield looked more assured and seemed a much more comfortable foundation on which to attempt to get back into a game that Dundee had struggled to accrue any fluidity in.

Greg Stewart had a relatively quiet game but again was targeted for a few meaty challenges. Higginbotham brought him down on the halfway line and continued to wrestle with him until referee Andrew Dallas decided that both players merited a booking – much to the bemusement of Greg Stewart.

The Dundee playmaker had another probing run at the heart of the Kilmarnock defence on: seamlessly weaving past players but the final product was a tame effort that didn’t do much to trouble MacDonald. Paul McGinn was the next to try and carve an opening for The Dee but his good work on the right and subsequent low cross into the 6 yard box was just inches away from finding Rory Loy at the back post.

Kilmarnock were getting deeper and deeper but were resolute in their decision making at the back – often sniffing out the final ball and their positioning forced Dundee into lots of backwards and sideways passing which did little to appease a frustrated Dens Park.

Dundee did, however, eventually forge out a goal from a set piece. Greg Stewart swung in a corner and RHYS HEALEY climbed the highest to loop his header over the despairing MacDonald with 15 minutes left to play.

Paul McGinn came agonisingly close a minute later as he again connected well with a cross after Rory Loy showed brilliant awareness to flick the ball on – with MacDonald pulling off an acrobatic stop to keep Killie in front.

A couple of half-chances fell Dundee’s way in the dying minutes, however, Killie did well to nullify any suggestion of panicky final 10 minutes and saw the game out well - keeping the ball in the corner as a steady stream of Dundee fans made for an early exit.

This was a disappointing performance from Dundee and although solutions were identified early into the second-half – Dundee left themselves with too big a hurdle to overcome and in the end - Kilmarnock were well worthy winners over the 90 minutes.

Match report written by Phil Ritchie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at October 24th, 2015)

2015-16 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)23 13 - 39 -
Kevin Holt22 102102
Paul McGinn25 13 - 522
Daryll Meggatt25 4 - 4 -
James McPake31 102484
Gary Harkins30 12 - 14329
Nick Ross23 13 - 13 -
Rhys Healey20 5151
Greg Stewart25 1355220
Kane Hemmings24 124124
Rory Loy27 8585
Kostadin Gadzhalov (sub)26 2 - 11 -
Paul McGowan (sub)28 8 - 421
Nicky Low (sub)23 7 - 7 -

League Table (as at October 24th, 2015)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good afternoon and welcome to Dens Park for the second match of the season between ourselves and Kilmarnock.

I'd like to start by welcoming Gary Locke and his backroom staff to Dens for the first time this season and also both sets of supporters.

The game this weekend will see us start the second period of the season having already come up against every team. We started with a very good performance and victory over Kilmarnock but they have had some impressive results recently so we know we are in for a difficult game today.

We have picked up four points in our last two outings with a win over Motherwell and a draw at Hamilton.

I was pleased with the win over Motherwell, the second half was a good performance and it was a good day's work for us. We got a wee bit nervy when they got it back to 2-1 but I was pleased with the game overall.

Last week we travelled to Hamilton which is a difficult venue. We knew how Accies were going to play and the pitch is definitely different. We found the conditions difficult early in the game but we worked our way into it and got a goal but we just didn't see it out. We were disappointed with the goal we lost because I thought we defended well throughout the match.

I think we are in a nice position after the first quarter. We feel we should have more points. Now we have seen how everyone plays and I think we have been more than a match for everybody in the games probably outwith Celtic.

We have a lot to look forward to in the next quarter and hopefully we can get as many points.

Enjoy the game.