Dundee 1
Partick Thistle 1
League (Premiership)

1 - 1

League (Premiership)
Saturday, November 7th, 2015
Dens Park
Attendance: 5,067
3:00 PM Kick-off

Kane Hemmings (85)
Liam Lindsay (5)

Team Managers
Paul Hartley
Alan Archibald

Starting Eleven
1. Scott Bain
4. Thomas Konrad
19. Paul McGinn
3. Kevin Holt
26. Kostadin Gadzhalov
17. Nick Ross
8. Nicky Low
18. Paul McGowan
9. Rory Loy
23. Rhys Healey
7. Greg Stewart
Paul Gallagher .35
Danny Seaborne .3
Callum Booth .5
Mustapha Dumbuya .15
Liam Lindsay .17
Sean Welsh .4
Abdul Osman .6
Stuart Bannigan .8
David Amoo .7
Kris Doolan .9
Steven Lawless .11

12. David Mitchell
2. Gary Irvine
29. Gary Harkins
10. Kevin Thomson
20. Riccardo Calder
15. Kane Hemmings
43. Josh Skelly
Marc Waters .31
Frédéric Frans .13
Ryan Edwards .19
Gary Fraser .22
Declan McDaid .20
Ryan Stevenson .10
Mathias Pogba .99

Kane Hemmings for Rhys Healey (30)
Riccardo Calder for Nicky Low (63)
Gary Fraser for Steven Lawless (71)
Ryan Stevenson for Kris Doolan (84)

None. Sean Welsh (69)
Stuart Bannigan (74)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Willie Collum (Referee)
Stuart Stevenson & Ross Haswell (Assistants)
David Munro (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Dundee were grateful to take a point from today's 1-1 draw with Partick Thistle at Dens Park. The Dee were in poor form for almost the whole match after falling behind to an early goal by Liam Lindsay. Kane Hemmings' unexpected late equaliser saved a point that was the very most the Dee deserved in a grimly disappointing game.

The Dark Blues were unchanged from last week's draw at Inverness. Club captain Kevin Thomson returned from injury to take a place on the bench. Injury and suspension forced the Jags to call upon their goalkeeping coach, the hugely experienced Paul Gallacher, and Kris Doolan replaced Mathias Pogba in attack.

Gallacher was quickly into action, and had to save well when Rhys Healey tested him from 20 yards. The Dee were roaring forward in the opening few minutes putting the Thistle defence under serious pressure.

However, everything fell apart when the visitors won a corner in their first attack after five minutes. Tall central defender Liam LINDSAY climbed high to score with a powerful close range header. There will be awkward questions about how the Dark Blue defence handled that corner. Like last week Dundee looked uncomfortable every time their opponents were able to send big men forward for a set piece.

The bright spell before the goal was the only time the Dee were able to put their game together until the late equaliser. After Thistle took the lead their defence was never under sustained pressure, even though their defensive positioning was occasionally suspect in the first half.

Shortly after the goal Rory Loy's 25 yard shot did force a good save from Gallacher. The veteran keeper also had to be alert to block a McGowan shot with his feet following a corner. Apart from that Dundee offered no threat throughout a long and dismal first half.

On the half hour mark Healey was unfortunate to be forced out of the match on a stretcher, after a bad challenge from behind. Kane Hemmings replaced him, but there was no change to the pattern of the match.

Thistle might have added a second when Thomas Konrad failed to deal with an Amoo cross, but Scott Bain managed to pounce on the ball when Doolan looked like he might nick a goal.

The Dark Blues' passing was consistently poor, and they gave the ball away repeatedly when trying to make easy passes. Thistle deserve credit for the way they pressed Dundee, but often there was no excuse for simple mistakes by the Dee.

If the first half had been poor there was always hope that Dundee might pull themselves together after half time. That didn't happen. All that changed was that Thistle tightened up at the back.

Dundee continued to botch their passes, making life surprisingly easy for a hard working Thistle side. The quality of the football from both sides was abysmal, but at least Thistle could argue that they were successfully protecting their lead, and doing so without any great trouble. Thistle might not have done anything clever, but they were hard working, well organised, and made few mistakes. That put them well ahead of Dundee on the day.

Paul Gallacher was called on twice to make routine saves from McGowan and Stewart. However, there was no charge at Thistle, and no real pressure. Play broke down continuously, and it was usually a Thistle player who was first to the loose ball.

With 20 minutes to go Riccardo Calder replaced Nicky Low. The Villa youngster found it difficult to get involved in the game as his teammates continued to struggle.

Little had been seen of Thistle in attack in the second half, but Bain had to turn over a fierce 20 yard shot from substitute Gary Fraser after 75 minutes. Dundee cleared the corner, but two incidents in the next 60 seconds summed up the Dark Blues' performance. When Dundee broke over the halfway line Hemmings tried to release Stewart, but mishit his pass. Paul McGinn then gave away an unnecessary free kick, from which the unmarked Lindsay powered a header wide.

After 85 minutes the Dark Blues surprisingly equalised with a goal that had everything their play had been lacking. Thistle were sitting back looking secure in defence when McGowan slipped a clever ball through for HEMMINGS to stab the ball past Gallacher from 10 yards. For a moment the Dee were slick and sharp; that was enough to salvage a point.

In the four minutes of injury time Thistle managed to survive a frantic goalmouth scramble. The added time was far more entertaining than anything on offer in the previous 90 minutes. Both sides tried to grab a winner as the game opened up. The Jags had a short period of very late and dangerous pressure during which Sean Welsh fired over from a half chance.

At the final whistle it is unlikely that anyone felt satisfied with the game or the result. Dundee's performance was nowhere near acceptable except for the fleeting promise before Thistle's goal and in the last few minutes after the equaliser. The Jags will feel disappointed they failed to see out a match in which they had rarely looked in danger.

Dundee have seldom played as poorly without losing in the Premiership. Every part of the team played well below their best. Paul McGowan never gave up in midfield and kept trying to drive the Dee forward, so it was fitting that he created the equaliser. For the rest it was a matter of good players failing to show their ability and looking well short of confidence.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at November 7th, 2015)

2015-16 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)23 15 - 41 -
Kevin Holt22 122122
Paul McGinn25 15 - 542
Thomas Konrad26 13 - 502
Kostadin Gadzhalov26 4 - 13 -
Nicky Low23 9 - 9 -
Nick Ross23 15 - 15 -
Paul McGowan28 10 - 441
Greg Stewart25 1555420
Rhys Healey20 7171
Rory Loy27 106106
Riccardo Calder (sub)19 7 - 7 -
Kane Hemmings (sub)24 145145

League Table (as at November 7th, 2015)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good afternoon, I'd like to start by welcoming Alan Archibald to Dens today.

It's the first meeting between the sides here this season having already met once in a tough contest at Firhill.

Partick are a good side and showed it that day but we came away with all three points and will be looking to do the same again today. They have also had some good results recently with victories over Dundee United and St. Johnstone.

Last week we travelled to Inverness and came away with a point but we were disappointed not to come away with more having been a goal up.

The penalty decision was costly for us. I was disappointed in the decision and the linesman for not making the call, but we've still got to see the game out. I thought we were doing ok, we weren't under any pressure at 1-0 and in control of the game.

If you are leading you want to try and get the three points so it was disappointing.

Today we look to go into the international break with three points which would see us back sitting the in top 6 on Saturday evening.

Enjoy the game.