Dundee 2
Motherwell 2
League (Premiership)

2 - 2

League (Premiership)
Saturday, January 30th, 2016
Dens Park
Attendance: 4,960
3:00 PM Kick-off

Paul McGowan (6)
Kane Hemmings (pen.) (88)
Chris Cadden (4)
Stephen Pearson (23)

Team Managers
Paul Hartley
Mark McGhee

Starting Eleven
1. Scott Bain
3. Kevin Holt
21. Darren O'Dea
19. Paul McGinn
4. Thomas Konrad
17. Nick Ross
18. Paul McGowan
29. Gary Harkins
15. Kane Hemmings
9. Rory Loy
7. Greg Stewart
Connor Ripley .1
Steven Hammell .3
Stephen McManus .6
Josh Law .18
Ben Hall .37
Stephen Pearson .8
Marvin Johnson .11
Keith Lasley .14
Chris Cadden .26
Louis Moult .20
Scott McDonald .77

12. David Mitchell
26. Kostadin Gadzhalov
30. Cammy Kerr
16. Julen Etxabeguren
24. Andrew Black
22. Arturo Rodriguez
33. Craig Wighton
Craig Samson .13
Kieran Kennedy .16
Joe Chalmers .15
Jack Leitch .21
Lionel Ainsworth .7
James McFadden .24
Wes Fletcher .9

Arturo Rodriguez for Rory Loy (70)
Craig Wighton for Nick Ross (80)
Wes Fletcher for Scott McDonald (72)

None. Josh Law (80)
Chris Cadden (87)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

John Beaton (Referee)
Sean Carr & Jordan Stokoe (Assistants)
Gavin Duncan (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Dundee had to be happy with a point in a 2-2 draw at home to Motherwell at Dens Park this afternoon. It was a game they should have won but looked like they would lose until Kane Hemmings’ 88th minute penalty. Chris Cadden gave Well an early lead only for Paul McGowan to score an instant equaliser. Stephen Pearson put Motherwell ahead again midway through the first half and although Dundee dominated the rest of the match they couldn’t get back on level terms till that late penalty.

Dundee made two changes following the cup victory over Falkirk. Darren O’Dea came back to replace Kosta Gadzhalov and Rory Loy came in for Nicky Low. Well’s only change was the return of Josh Law from injury in the place of Kieran Kennedy.

Dundee made life hard for themselves by conceding a poorly defended goal after just four minutes. Johnson seemed to have pushed the ball too far ahead but caught it on the byline. The Dee defence had switched off and left Chris CADDEN all alone to chest down the cross and score from 15 yards.

The Dark Blues responded well to the set back and were quickly back on level terms. Greg Stewart had the ball wide on the right and chipped a beautiful pass over the defence for Paul MCGOWAN, who had made a long run from deep, to take the ball, turn and shoot high into the net.

Although the play was now nearly all in Motherwell’s half Scott Bain had to move smartly to turn the ball round the post after Keith Lasley launched a high free kick from 40 yards that was missed by everyone.

Rory Loy should have put the Dee ahead a few minutes later when he shot against the underside of the crossbar from four yards after a thrilling run into the penalty area and along the byline by Stewart. A second goal looked on the cards as the Dark Blues surged forward and Motherwell were happy to cling on. Another Stewart run across the penalty area ended with a good save by Well’s keeper, Connor Ripley.

In spite of Dundee’s impressive play in possession there were worrying signs of carelessness when Well had the ball. Scott McDonald was left free and in space when the second ball came in following a corner, but his shot on the turn was straight into Bain’s hands.

Frustratingly for the Dee the next goal came against the run of play when Motherwell went back into the lead with another avoidable goal. Stephen PEARSON was allowed too much time and space to run through from midfield, play a one-two, and shoot past Bain from 15 yards.

Paul McGowan nearly pulled off a carbon copy of his equaliser when he ran onto Harkins’ chip, but this time he couldn’t get enough power in his shot to trouble Ripley. The Well keeper had far more trouble with Kevin Holt’s blistering 30 yard drive and did well to turn it over the crossbar.

Motherwell’s second goal had changed the game, however. The visitors settled down in defence and looked more confident and dangerous in attack. After getting into some promising positions they let themselves down with poor final balls when they might have created serious problems for the Dundee defence. Lewis Moult came closest with a curling 20 yard shot that Bain did well to touch away for a corner. Dundee, meanwhile, kept attacking but they weren’t as incisive as they had been before Well’s second goal.

After half time Dundee were soon back on top and they dominated the rest of the match without being entirely convincing. Just after the restart Motherwell were fortunate to escape when the referee missed a push on O’Dea when he was up in the Well penalty area for a corner.

Harkins saw a chip drift just wide of the post at the end of a good attack, but for the most part promising moves ended with wrong decisions or poor crosses. Dundee were playing well enough in midfield, and the defence was looking more secure, but in spite of persistence, hard work and some good build up play the Dee weren’t quite clicking in the final third.

Motherwell were happy to sit very deep and try to hit Dundee on the break. The Dark Blues had a huge escape 20 minutes from full time when Lewis Moult’s carelessness stopped Well scoring a third goal. The visitors broke out of defence and Stephen Pearson was clear on the left. He played the ball across goal for Moult to fire into the net from an offside position, when he should have been alert enough to hold himself onside.

For the most part the game was spent with the Dee plugging away at Motherwell’s defence. It looked like it wouldn’t be Dundee’s day as a succession of good attacks broke down in the penalty area without Dark Blue players being able to get a shot in or find a team mate in a goalscoring position.

Arturo came on for his debut, replacing Loy after 69 minutes, and Craig Wighton came on for Loy 10 minutes later. Gary Harkins had a shot deflected just past the post on 86 minutes, and in the scramble that followed the corner Dundee were awarded a penalty. Referee Mr Beaton decided that Cadden had fouled Holt, though the offence was less obvious than the penalty he’d failed to give earlier. After the ritual protests Kane HEMMINGS scored an equaliser from the spot that was well deserved but really should have arrived much earlier.

In injury time Arturo forced a good save from Ripley with a fierce angled drive and that was the end of the excitement. Despite the late equaliser this still felt like two points dropped. If Dundee had been a bit sharper in both defence and attack in a very open first half they should have built a match winning lead. Motherwell would not then have had the option of sitting back and trying to smother the game, a tactic that looked increasingly likely to win them three points the longer the game wore on. However, without being at their best, Dundee never gave up against a very dogged defence and were well worth a draw that takes them back into the top six, three points behind fourth place Ross County, but only six points above Kilmarnock in the play-off spot in a remarkably close Premiership table.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at January 30th, 2016)

2015-16 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)24 26 - 52 -
Thomas Konrad26 23 - 602
Paul McGinn25 25 - 642
Darren O'Dea28 3 - 3 -
Kevin Holt23 222222
Paul McGowan28 211552
Nick Ross24 251251
Gary Harkins31 22415333
Kane Hemmings24 25162516
Greg Stewart25 2576422
Rory Loy27 207207
Arturo Rodriguez (sub)26 1 - 1 -
Craig Wighton (sub)18 1 - 323

League Table (as at January 30th, 2016)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good afternoon and welcome to Dens Park as we take on Motherwell.

I'd like to start by welcoming Mark McGhee and his backroom staff to Dundee this afternoon, along with both sets of supporters.

We have had a busy week with the Scottish Cup tie against Falkirk on Tuesday night. It was a good result and we are into the next round which is the most important thing.

I felt the performance was good in the second half and we scored some good goals. I was pleased to get through the tie.

The conditions were tough and the pitch played pretty well considering the amount of rain which we have had. The wind is always a problem but I felt the players handled it well.

It's a tough one in the next round with a trip to Dumbarton next week but we will pay them the same respect we did Falkirk. It's one we can win but we will have to be at our best.

Back to league duty this afternoon and it will be another tough one against Motherwell. We know we are in for a hard game and again we know we will have to be at our best to keep our good run at home going.

Enjoy the game.