Rangers 4
Dundee 0
Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)


4 - 0


Scottish Cup (Quarter Final)
Saturday, March 5th, 2016
Ibrox Park
Attendance: 30,944
12:30 PM Kick-off

Harry Forrester (1)
Jason Holt (47)
Andy Halliday (54)
Lee Wallace (84)

Team Managers
Mark Warburton Paul Hartley

Starting Eleven
25. Wes Foderingham
2. James Tavernier
4. Rob Kiernan
5. Lee Wallace
6. Dominic Ball
27. Danny Wilson
16. Andy Halliday
23. Jason Holt
9. Kenny Miller
15. Harry Forrester
19. Barrie McKay
Scott Bain .1
Kevin Holt .3
Darren O'Dea .21
Paul McGinn .19
Thomas Konrad .4
Nick Ross .17
Paul McGowan .18
Gary Harkins .29
Kane Hemmings .15
Rory Loy .9
Greg Stewart .7

1. Cammy Bell
7. Nicky Law
14. Nicky Clark
22. Dean Shiels
68. Jack Thomson
37. Scott Roberts
62. Liam Burt
David Mitchell .12
Kostadin Gadzhalov .26
Daryll Meggatt .6
Cammy Kerr .30
Nicky Low .8
Arturo Rodriguez .22
Craig Wighton .33

Dean Shiels for Harry Forrester (73)
Nicky Clark for Barrie McKay (73)
Nicky Law for Jason Holt (78)
Craig Wighton for Rory Loy (55)
Cammy Kerr for Thomas Konrad (68)

Harry Forrester (1) Thomas Konrad (19)
Darren O'Dea (64)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Alan Muir (Referee)
Alan Mulvanny & Stephen Mitchell (Assistants)
Andrew Dallas (Fourth Official)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Disastrous starts to both the first and second halves sent Dundee out of the Scottish Cup as the Dee went down 4-0 to Rangers at Ibrox. Harry Forrester scored in the first minute, and Jason Holt added the second less than two minutes into the second half. Andy Halliday quickly added a third and Lee Wallace completed the scoring late in the match.

The Dark Blues reverted to a more familiar line-up after Wednesday's draw at Parkhead. They fielded the same team as last Saturday, with the exception of Thomas Konrad returning in the place of Julen Etxabeguren. Rangers made three changes from their win over Raith Rovers; Dominic Ball, Barrie McKay and Kenny Miller replaced Michael O'Halloran and Billy King, who were both cup tied, and Nicky Clark.

Dundee couldn't have got off to a worse start. Rangers kicked off and were a goal up in only 13 seconds. Kenny Miller played the ball forward and Kevin Holt lost possession to Harry FORRESTER, who ran into the penalty area to crash an angled shot high into the net.

The astonishingly early goal gave a massive lift to the home players and supporters. The Dee were in big trouble as Rangers poured forward. Scott Bain had to save well from James Tavernier after a crossfield run by Barrie had stretchd Dundee. When the second ball came over following the resulting corner Dundee's defence was all at sea. Miller chested the ball down in the goalmouth, and Kevin Holt hacked the ball clear as it bounced towards the post.

Dundee gradually started to come into the game and but always had trouble dealing with the Rangers' movement and energy. As the Dark Blues saw more of the ball they showed themselves capably of opening up a defence that showed some signs of carelessness.

Greg Stewart took advantage of sloppy defending to play Gary Harkins into the penalty area, but the Dee captain fired his shot across goal when he might have done better. Kane Hemmings, lurking on the shoulders of the last defender, nearly managed to run clear, but his first touch from a Stewart pass let him down.

If Dundee were starting to pose a few problems for Rangers' defence there was little easing up of the threat from the home attack. Milller was allowed far too much space on the left and Thomas Konrad had to lunge to cut out his low cross. At the other end Hemmings headed on a corner at the near post only for the ball to flash past the head of Konrad at the back post.

Rangers posed constant danger down the wings, and Tavernier's runs down the right gave the Dee real trouble. The right back almost scored with a free kick from 25 yards, but Bain's fine save kept it out of the top corner.

Dundee managed to create promising openings later in the half, and Foderman had touch Paul McGinn's fierce cross cum shot away after Stewart had opened Rangers up on the right. Stewart and Hemmings were causing problems for Rangers' defence, but Dundee couldn't find the right final ball to set up an equaliser.

The last 10 minutes of the first half were Dundee's best spell of the match. The midfield was keeping Rangers pinned back and the Dee were attacking patiently, which gave some cause for hope at half time.

Sadly, if the first half had a disastrous start the second half's opening was even worse. Conceding a soft goal in the first minute had given the Dark Blues a huge handicap, but committing the same sin in the second half effectively put the Dee out of the cup.

Kenny Miller reached the byline to hook the ball into the goalmouth for Jason HOLT to head into the net from close range. The goal rocked Dundee and they were never again in serious contention.

Rangers were given another injection of energy by the early goal and went after the rattled Dark Blues. Miller was fouled just outside the penalty area, and Andy HALLIDAY's free kick curled just inside Bain's right hand post.

It could quickly have got even worse as Miller sent Lee Wallace clear, but Bain blocked well. Paul Hartley tried to change the game by sending on Craig Wighton as a straight replacement for Rory Loy, and Cammy Kerr for Thomas Konrad. Kerr played left midfield, as Dundee switched to three at the back.

The substitutions made little difference as Dundee failed to create any worthwhile chances, despite having plenty of the ball. The Dark Blues' passing and movement was laboured, and lacked the energy and intensity Rangers had every time they were in possession.

Dundee kept plugging away but if there were to be further goals they always looked more likely to fall to Rangers who looked dangerous with every attack. The Dark Blues' short-handed defence had to keep their wits about them to deal with Rangers attacks, but they switched to let Lee WALLACE to run in from the left and slip the ball past Bain for the fourth goal. It might have been even worse, but Nick Ross blocked when Halliday seemed sure to score.

In injury time Hemmings was given a half chance on the edge of the penalty area, but he failed to connect properly. That was the story of Dundee's day. The team just didn't perform anywhere near their true abilities and couldn't play their way into the game. This was always going to be a tough challenge, but the Dee couldn't recover after handing Rangers a huge boost at the start of each half.

Dundee's failure to do themselves justice today was a huge disappointment and Rangers fully deserved their victory today.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at March 5th, 2016)

2015-16 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)24 33 - 59 -
Thomas Konrad26 28 - 652
Paul McGinn25 321713
Darren O'Dea29 9 - 9 -
Kevin Holt23 293293
Paul McGowan28 281622
Nick Ross24 321321
Gary Harkins31 29416033
Kane Hemmings24 32203220
Greg Stewart25 3297124
Rory Loy27 277277
Cammy Kerr (sub)20 5 - 10 -
Craig Wighton (sub)18 6 - 373

League Table (as at March 5th, 2016)

No league table has been added for this season.