Partick Thistle 1
Dundee 2
League (Premiership)


1 - 2


League (Premiership)
Saturday, April 23rd, 2016
Firhill Stadium
Attendance: 2,769
3:00 PM Kick-off

Kris Doolan (70) Kane Hemmings (34)
Kane Hemmings (81)

Team Managers
Alan Archibald Paul Hartley

Starting Eleven
12. Ryan Scully
2. Gary Miller
2. Christie Elliott
15. Mustapha Dumbuya
17. Liam Lindsay
4. Sean Welsh
6. Abdul Osman
16. Aidan Nesbitt
19. Ryan Edwards
9. Kris Doolan
11. Steven Lawless
Scott Bain .1
Kostadin Gadzhalov .26
Kevin Holt .3
Paul McGinn .19
Darren O'Dea .21
Gary Harkins .29
Paul McGowan .18
Nick Ross .17
Kane Hemmings .15
Greg Stewart .7
Craig Wighton .33

35. Paul Gallacher
13. Frédéric Frans
29. James Penrice
7. David Amoo
27. Kevin Nisbet
99. Mathias Pogb
David Mitchell .12
Cammy Kerr .30
Calvin Colquhoun .35
Arturo Rodriguez .22

David Amoo for Aidan Nesbitt (59)
Mathias Pogba for Ryan Edwards (68)
Kevin Nisbet for Kris Doolan (86)
Cammy Kerr for Craig Wighton (71)
Calvin Colquhoun for Gary Harkins (90)

None. Paul McGowan (45)
Greg Stewart (73)

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

Nick Walsh (Referee)
Willie Conquer & Graeme Leslie (Assistants)
Willie Collum (Fourth Official)

Photography by David Young

Match Report

Dundee won today for the third time this season at Firhill, beating Partick Thistle 2-1 thanks to goals in each half by top scorer Kane Hemmings. Kris Doolan equalised for Thistle midway through the second half but Hemmings' wonderful winning goal sealed the points for the Dee with 10 minutes to play.

Injuries and suspensions forced the Dark Blues to rejig both the team and formation. Kosta Gadzalov, Paul McGinn and Gary Harkins returned to the starting line-up, replacing Thomas Konrad, Julen Etxebeguren and Cammy Kerr. Dundee reverted to four at the back, instead of the three that Paul Hartley has said he now prefers. Only four substitutes were named. Thistle made four changes, bringing in Liam Lindsay, Aidan Nesbitt, Christie Elliott and Kris Doolan instead of Daniel Seaborne, Callum Booth, David Amoo and Matthias Pogba.

The Dark Blues started well, probing Thistle's defence with some patient and thoughtful attacks. The home side took ten minutes to get their game together, but then started to put Dundee's defence under pressure with some fast and eager attacks. Scott Bain did well to cut out a hard, dangerous cross from Dumbuya. The Dee keeper then had to race off his line to block Edwards' shot after Lawless's penetrating through pass had set up Thistle's best chance of the first half.

Greg Stewart was looking very much in the mood, and his incisive pass allowed Gary Harkins to run clear, but to the delight of the home fans the Dee captain sent his attempted curling finish well wide of the far post.

Thistle were soon back on the attack and Welsh's volley was blocked, with Lawless drilling the loose ball wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Dundee gradually took the sting out of Thistle's attacks, concentrating on holding possession and building moves patiently from the back. The Dee defence was nearly caught out, however, by a quick, short corner, but Bain blocked Welsh's near post shot.

The Dark Blues calm possession game often resulted in Thistle losing concentration and gifting the Dee too much space. Dundee took the lead when Stewart found Paul McGinn in isolation on the right wing. The full back took a touch before crossing hard and low to the near post where Kane HEMMINGS flicked the ball into the roof of the net after cleverly changing his run to lose his marker.

Dundee nearly repeated the same move just before the break, but this time Thistle scrambled McGinn's cross clear.

The Jags started the second half strongly, pressing Dundee hard as they searched for an equaliser. The home side quickly had a good chance, but Bain saved well from Doolan after Edwards' run had opened up Dundee's defence.

The early part of the second half was very open with both sides attacking at every opportunity, and neither goal looking safe. The difference between the side was that Dundee were more composed on the ball, whereas Thistle often lost possession as they tried to launch attacks too quickly.

After a tricky spell Dundee's defence settled down and handled Thistle's attacks well. The home defence, on the other hand, always looked vulnerable against Hemmings' raiding and the probing of Stewart, Harkins and Wighton. Ryan Scully pulled off a great instinctive save from Stewart to keep Thistle in the game after wonderful, skilfull play by Wighton left the Jags' defence all at sea.

It looked like that save might be a turning point as Thistle started to push Dundee back again. Bain had to punch away a wickedly swerving long range shot by Welsh. Even during this spell of Thistle dominance Dundee still looked dangerous, and Stewart was frustrated to see his shot deflected into Scully's arms after he had cleverly made room to shoot.

Thistle finally managed to grab an equaliser after 70 minutes. Abdul Osman crossed from the left for DOOLAN to head home, while the Dundee defence seemed distracted by Craig Wighton lying injured on the far side of the penalty area.

Wighton took no further part in the match after a very good display on the left. Cammy Kerr came on and was quickly into action, launching a series of raids down the left wing. A good run by Kerr allowed Hemmings to set up Stewart, but he shot across goal and wide. A minute later another Kerr run gave McGowan the chance to shoot from 20 yards. The shot was deflected into the path of Hemmings, but Scully pulled out another great block.

Dundee were pushing hard for a winner, and it took only one more minute for them to fashion a magnificent winning goal. Greg Stewart tracked back to win the ball just inside the Thistle half, but was pinned on the touchline by two players. There seemed to be nothing on for him, but he showed great vision to make just enough space to send a marvellous pass through the defence for HEMMINGS to run on and send and angled shot through Scully's legs. It was a winner of the highest quality!

The Dark Blues settled well on their lead and played out the rest of the game in composed style. The Dee looked more likely to add a third than concede again. Stewart saw his dangerous shot take two deflections on its way past the post, and Darren O'Dea headed too high from Kerr's cross as Thistle were pinned back following a corner.

There was a final scare for the Dee deep into injury time when a high ball into a crowded penalty area fell to Amoo, who lashed the ball high over the crossbar.

Remarkably this was Dundee's third win this season at this venue. It might not have been as convincing as the 4-2 win in January, but Dundee just about deserved the points for their more composed play that created the better chances. Certainly Kane Hemmings second goal, his 21st league goal of the season, was worthy of winning any game. The Dark Blues defence might have been disrupted by injury and suspension, but they handled Thistle effectively for the most part, coping well under pressure in the second half. Up front, Dundee had more quality and coolness and these qualities were decisive today.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at April 23rd, 2016)

2015-16 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)24 38 - 64 -
Kostadin Gadzhalov26 13 - 22 -
Kevin Holt23 353353
Paul McGinn25 351743
Darren O'Dea29 15 - 15 -
Gary Harkins31 34516534
Paul McGowan28 341682
Nick Ross24 381381
Kane Hemmings25 38253825
Greg Stewart26 38117726
Craig Wighton18 111424
Cammy Kerr (sub)20 11 - 16 -
Calvin Colquhoun (sub)19 1 - 3 -

League Table (as at April 23rd, 2016)

No league table has been added for this season.