Dundee 2
Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1
League (Premiership)

2 - 1
Inverness CT 

League (Premiership)
Saturday, November 26th, 2016
Dens Park
Attendance: 5,094
3:00 PM Kick-off

Craig Wighton (25)
Kostadin Gadzhalov (60)
Carl Tremarco (81)

Team Managers
Paul Hartley
Richie Foran

Starting Eleven
1. Scott Bain
3. Kevin Holt
26. Kostadin Gadzhalov
6. Darren O'Dea
30. Cammy Kerr
55. Kévin Gomis
7. Tom Hateley
4. James Vincent
18. Paul McGowan
21. Marcus Haber
33. Craig Wighton
Owain Fôn Williams .25
Carl Tremarco .3
Gary Warren .5
Josh Meekings .6
Ross Draper .8
Aaron Doran. 10
Greg Tansey .16
Lewis Horner .17
Iain Vigurs .11
Billy King .20
Lonsana Doumbouya .26

12. David Mitchell
16. Julen Etxabeguren
27. Jesse Curran
11. Danny Williams
9. Rory Loy
10. Michael Duffy
20. Faissal El Bakhtaoui
Ryan Esson .1
Larnell Cole .29
Jake Mulraney .15
Ali Sutherland .21
Scott Boden .19
Andy Macrae .43

Danny Williams for James Vincent (64)
Julen Etxabeguren for Marcus Haber (90)
Jake Mulraney for Billy King (66)
Scott Boden for Aaron Doran (75)
Larnell Cole for Iain Vigurs (83)

James Vincent (57)
Tom Hateley (78)
Darren O'Dea (92)
Larnell Cole (85)

Red Cards
None. Lewis Horner (94)
Match Officials

Andrew Dallas (Referee)
Graeme Leslie & David Roome (Assistants)
Willie Collum (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Dundee continued their recent improved form with a close and hard fought 2-1 win over Inverness Caley Thistle at Dens Park. Craig Wighton put the Dee ahead with a beautifully taken goal in the first half and Kosta Gadzhalov added a second after an hour. Carl Tremarco pulled a late goal back for Caley Thistle, who had Lewis Horner red carded in injury time. The Dark Blues held out for a valuable win that lifts them to 7th in the table.

The Dark Blues were unchanged with the outfield 10 staying settled for the fourth consecutive match. For Caley Thistle Brad Mckay and Lanley Cole dropped out; they were replaced by Greg Tansey, returning from suspension, and Lewis Horner.

There was a strange scare for the Dee before the kick off. Paul McGowan went down clutching his shoulder and needed treatment. When the game did start Dundee were slow out of the blocks and the first five minutes were all spent in the Dark Blues’ half. The first serious move into the visitors’ half didn’t come till the Dee had the chance to launch a fast break after Cammy Kerr had blocked Billy King’s shot.

Marcus Haber and Craig Wighton were soon combining well with Wighton looking particularly dangerous and skillful. The Dee’s first half chance fell to Haber, whose header slipped wide after good work by Cammy Kerr to beat his man and cross.

Caley Thistle had their full share of possession, but repeatedly wasted it with wild shots from distance that gave the ballboys far more trouble than Scott Bain.

Midway through the first half Dundee took the lead with a goal that showcased Craig WIGHTON’s ability. Taking tbe ball from Tom Hateley 25 yards from goal be turned, ghosted away from his marker and curled a lovely finish round Williams in a style that was very reminiscent of one of Greg Stewart’s trademark goals.

Wighton was causing huge problems for Caley Thistle and was taking some heavy treatment for his impudence. The youngster should have won a penalty shortly after his goal when he spun on Darren O’Dea’s cross and was tripped. He tried to keep going and shot wide while off balance. Surprisingly Mr Dallas didn’t pull play back to award a spot kick. Another skillful run by Wighton ended with him being pulled back as Caley Thistle struggled to contain him.

After a spell in which Dundee were dominant Caley Thistle came back strongly towards half time. However, the visitors were hamperd by their inability to find the right final ball to finish off some good moves and also by more dreadful shooting from distance.

In first half injury time Caley Thistle came desperately close in a scramble from a corner, with the ball pinging around the goalmouth and no-one able to force it over the line.

Caley Thistle might have been allowed too much easy possession in midfield during the first half, but the Dark Blues pressed them more effectively after the break. Wighton was still a constant threat, and could have been even more dangerous with better protection from the officials.

Paul McGowan went close with a deflected shot from 18 yards that spun past the post following a corner. It was another set piece that led to the vital second goal. Cammy Kerr was fouled on the touchline 18 yards from the corner flag. Tom Hateley fired over a superb free kick and Kosta GADZHALOV rose to crash in an unstoppable header from 10 yards. The defender took off on a celebration run that only ended when he exchanged high fives with the manager 60 yards away.

Once the Dee had a two goal lead James Vincent, who had been booked, was replaced by Danny Williams. Caley Thistle might have quickly pulled a goal back from a corner, only for Paul McGowan to twist on the goalline to head Doumbouya’s header away.

Owain Fon-Williams made the save of the match to prevent an own goal by Josh Meekings, whose wild slice at a Hateley cross was zipping into the net. Wighton went close again, shooting wide after starting the attack with a marvellous pass that sent McGowan clear on the right.

Fon-Williams again saved well to beat away McGowan’s fierce cross shot and that save might have proved vital; Caley Thistle raced up the park to pull a goal back. Lewis Horner’s deep cross from the right found Carl TREMARCO coming in beyond the far post, and his header back across goal wrong footed Bain.

Caley Thistle threw everything at the Dundee defence in the last few minutes, but the Dark Blues held firm. Julen Etxabeguren came on for Marcus Haber after 89 minutes to provide some added steel in midfield. The home fans might have craved a nice quiet three minutes of injury time, but the added time brought some uncomfortable excitement.

First O’Dea was adjudged to have climbed over Doubouya 20 yards from the Dee goal. Tansey’s free kick bounced off the defensive wall to safety. The ball was cleared to Craig Wighton who raced across the half way line with a clear run at goal. Sadly Lewis Horner foolishly pulled him down 25 yards from goal. With 30 seconds of injury time left the foul guaranteed a Dundee win, and meant Horner picked up an inevitable red card that rules him out of his club’s next game. Tom Hateley’s free kick struck the wall and the final whistle sounded.

Dundee’s last win in the league over Inverness was an astonishing 11 years and 10 months ago, in January 2005. After 18 unsuccessful attempts that particular monkey has now been shrugged off Dundee’s back. With Dundee starting the day at the bottom of the table any win would have been gratefully received. In the circumstances grinding out three points against the most bogeyish of bogey teams was a huge relief.

This was no classic, and Dundee didn’t play as well as they did in the last home match against Motherwell. However, yet again they showed good organisation, hard work and a determination to ensure that the Dark Blues didn’t come off second best in the physical battles. The whole side played their full part, but Craig Wighton deserves special praise for keeping his head after taking some harsh treatment and continually unsettling Caley Thistle with cool skill and invention.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee website

Squad Statistics (as at November 26th, 2016)

2016-17 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)25 15 - 83 -
Kévin Gomis27 9 - 9 -
Cammy Kerr21 181341
Darren O'Dea29 181371
Kostadin Gadzhalov27 61302
Kevin Holt23 191584
Tom Hateley27 10 - 10 -
Paul McGowan29 163855
James Vincent27 13 - 13 -
Craig Wighton19 121586
Marcus Haber27 5151
Julen Etxabeguren (sub)25 121381
Danny Williams (sub)28 17 - 17 -

League Table (as at November 26th, 2016)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good afternoon and welcome to this afternoon's match with Inverness Caley Thistle.

I'd like to start by welcoming Richie Foran and his back room staff along with both sets of supporters to Dens.

There has been loads of positives to take from recent weeks. We need to keep playing like we have been as a solid unit. You can see the shape of the team and the togetherness of the team.

It was a real kick in the teeth to come away without a point from Ibrox after the way we performed for 90 minutes and just that one moment of concentration cost us the point.

We had some good chances, especially the second half. Even in the first half with Haber and Hateley with the free kick. I'm really pleased with how the players performed. Disappointed with the result but I think we've seen a different side to the team over the last 3 or 4 weeks so they have to keep performing like that.

The whole team at Ibrox, the way they worked as a unit, they were solid. We didn't look like we were going to give a goal away but just that one moment when we think we can defend the cross better.

We've got a run of games now, where we feel we can get some points from. We've got four home games before the break.

That starts with a tough game against Inverness today. The players have to take confidence from the last three performances into the match and look to get another positive result.

Enjoy the game.