Dundee 0
St Mirren 2
Scottish Cup (4th Round)

0 - 2
St Mirren 

Scottish Cup (4th Round)
Saturday, January 21st, 2017
Dens Park
Attendance: 3,622
3:00 PM Kick-off

None. John Sutton (24)
Jack Baird (47)

Team Managers
Paul Hartley
Jack Ross

Starting Eleven
1. Scott Bain
16. Julen Etxabeguren
26. Kostadin Gadzhalov
3. Kevin Holt
30. Cammy Kerr
7. Tom Hateley
18. Paul McGowan
14. Mark O'Hara
20. Faissal El Bakhtaoui
21. Marcus Haber
33. Craig Wighton
Billy O’Brien .1
Pal Fjelde .23
Jack Baird .15
Gary MacKenzie .6
Gary Irvine .3
Craig Storie .20
Kyle McAllister .29
Kyle Magennis .42
Stevie Mallan .10
Lewis Morgan .17
John Sutton .9

12. David Mitchell
55. Kévin Gomis
27. Jesse Curran
17. Nick Ross
4. James Vincent
10. Michael Duffy
11. Danny Williams
Jamie Langfield .1
Andy Webster .2
Lewis McLear .18
Cameron MacPherson .40
Conor O’Keefe .36
Darren Whyte .35
David Clarkson .7

Michael Duffy for Faissal El Bakhtaoui (57)
Danny Williams for Tom Hateley (57)
Darren Whyte for Kyle Magennis (73)
David Clarkson for John Sutton (84)
Cameron MacPherson for Kyle McAllister (92)

None. Stevie Mallan (14)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Bobby Madden (Referee)
Graham Chambers & Jordan Stokoe (Assistants)

Match Report

Dundee stumbled out of the Scottish Cup against St Mirren who put aside their struggles in the Championship to earn a deserved 2-0 win. John Sutton put the Buddies ahead midway through the first half. When Jack Baird added a second goal shortly after half time the Dark Blues couldn’t lift their game to stage a fightback and St Mirren closed out the tie comfortably.

The Dark Blues were unchanged from the team that beat St Johnstone on Hogmanay. St Mirren featured three former Dees, Gary MacKenzie, John Sutton and captain Gary Irvine, who will always be fondly remembered at Dens as one of the Deefiant heroes.

Dundee almost got off to an ideal start when Marcus Haber smashed a shot off the post after Tom Hateley had created the opening with a bulldozing run at Saints defence. This looked a promising start, but the Dee couldn’t sustain that intensity. Worryingly their attacks lacked the pace, urgency and sharp passing that had unnerved St Johnstone in the last match before the break.

Midway through the first half Cammy Kerr went close when he enjoyed a fortunate break of the ball that allowed him to cut infield and try his luck from 25 yards, but Saints keeper Billy O’Brien, making his debut on loan from Manchester City, touched his shot past the post. A minute later it was St Mirren’s turn to get a lucky break and they took full advantage. The ball squirmed away from Paul McGowan’s tackle on Stephen Mallan, leaving John SUTTON in the clear and he ran on to score with a low shot past Scott Bain.

It took Dundee a painfully long time to put St Mirren’s defence under any serious pressure. For the next 15 minutes the Buddies defended comfortably and looked ominously dangerous on the break, with Stephen Mallan looking a particular threat.

With the clock approaching the 40 minute mark and the home fans becoming restless the Dark Blues at last started to turn the screw on St Mirren’s defence. Faissal El Bakhtaoui dropped deep, spun into space and sent Craig Wighton through, but O’Brien tipped his angled drive over the bar. The corner was taken short to Kevin Holt, who swung over a perfectly flighted cross for Marcus Haber. From six yards out he sent his header just outside the post when he seemed certain to score.

At last Dundee were moving the ball around with sufficient pace and accuracy to cause the Buddies problems. Haber brought a good save from O’Brien with a quickly taken shot after Wighton had teed up the chance. Right at the end of the half Wighton went close with a flick from Hateley’s pass.

Any hopes that Dundee would sustain the improvement into the second half and take charge of the tie were quickly crushed. The Dark Blues conceded a soft goal only two minutes after the restart and never looked like fighting their way back into the game. Gary MacKenzie’s header from a Stephen Mallan corner was blocked and the ball broke into space for Craig Wighton to clear. The Dee youngster lost his footing, allowing Mallan to nip in and fire a low cross back into the goalmouth where Jack BAIRD shot high into the net.

The goal rocked the Dee and again gave a surge of confidence to St Mirren. This time Dundee failed to snap out of the slump and never had the control of the game that might have offered some hope. The Dark Blues’ movement, passing and composure were all well short of the standard required. Lewis Morgan came close to a third goal when he wheeled onto a knockdown from a corner, but Scott Bain’s reflex save pushed the ball over the bar.

Michael Duffy and Danny Williams came off the bench to replace Tom Hateley and Faissal El Bakhtaoui, but to no avail. Dundee simply couldn’t build any threatening moves and were rarely able to find any space in St Mirren’s half. Only one chance came the Dark Blues’ way, and that was hardly the result of fluent attacking. Gary Irvine mishit a backpass and Michael Duffy’s shot took a deflection and looped over O’Brien to the far post where Craig Wighton knocked it wide under pressure.

St Mirren remained dangerous on the break, with Stephen Mallan a constant threat. David Clarkson was the fourth former Dee to make an appearance for the Buddies and he had a chance shortly after coming off the bench. Scott Bain saved with his feet at the expense of a corner, which was half cleared to Pal Fjelde who volleyed just too high from 18 yards.

Referee Mr Madden played five minutes of injury time but it was a measure of Dundee’s ineffectual performance that they couldn’t muster a single noteworthy attack in the added time. The Dark Blues slipped out of the cup in a style that left no cause for complaint. They came nowhere near earning a place in the 5th round. The energy and invention that proved too much for Premiership top 6 sides Heart and St Johnstone before the break were entirely absent. The Dark Blues were sluggish and out of touch for almost the whole match today, and St Mirren emerged as surprisingly comfortable winners.

Match report written by James Christie for the official Dundee website.

Squad Statistics (as at January 21st, 2017)

2016-17 All Time
Scott Bain (GK)25 22 - 90 -
Julen Etxabeguren25 171431
Kostadin Gadzhalov27 132373
Kevin Holt23 261654
Cammy Kerr21 251411
Tom Hateley27 17 - 17 -
Paul McGowan29 224916
Mark O'Hara21 152152
Faissal El Bakhtaoui24 172172
Marcus Haber28 123123
Craig Wighton19 191656
Michael Duffy (sub)22 131131
Danny Williams (sub)28 21 - 21 -

League Table (as at January 21st, 2017)

No league table has been added for this season.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good afternoon and welcome to Dens for the William Hill Scottish Cup tie with St Mirren.

I'd like to start by welcoming Jack Ross and his backroom staff along to the match today. The winter break has been good for the squad. We have managed to get the players away for some time off but also some good work on the training pitch.

We also managed to get a game in against Arbroath which I thought was very beneficial to the squad. I was pleased because we basically had two teams out.

First half there was some really good football without any goals. Second half we get the goals and the game changed a wee bit because the wind picked up.

Overall, I thought it was a good exercise for us and the players were very sharp.

They came back on the Monday after a week off and they've looked very sharp. I think the strength of the squad was there to see.

I was pleased for Haber to get a goal and then he created a goal and I thought we were always a threat in the final third.

We ended 2016 in the best possible way with a convincing win over a good St. Johnstone side and we will be looking to kick this year off in a similar style.

The break has given me the opportunity to watch today's opponents a couple of times so I know we will be in for a tough match today.

Enjoy the game.