Dundee 0
St Johnstone 2
League Cup (Premier Sports Quarter Final)

0 - 2
St Johnstone 

League Cup (Premier Sports Quarter Final)
Wednesday, September 22nd, 2021
Kilmac Stadium
Attendance: 4,707
7:45 PM Kick-off

None. Shaun Rooney (70)
Ali Crawford (84)

Team Managers
James McPake
Callum Davidson

Starting Eleven
1. Adam Legzdins
14. Lee Ashcroft
6. Jordan McGhee
3. Jordan Marshall
2. Cammy Kerr
4. Liam Fontaine
8. Shaun Byrne
10. Paul McGowan
24. Max Anderson
18. Paul McMullan
29. Leigh Griffiths
Zander Clark .1
James Brown .2
Jamie McCart .4
Efe Ambrose .25
Shaun Rooney .19
Ali Crawford .21
David Wotherspoon .10
Liam Craig .26
Callum Booth .24
Glenn Middleton .14
Chris Kane .9

21. Ian Lawlor
30. Harrison Sharp
16. Christie Elliott
27. Corey Panter
19. Finlay Robertson
23. Cillian Sheridan
17. Luke McCowan
7. Alex Jakubiak
Elliot Parish .13
Lars Dendoncker .5
Reece Devine .3
Charlie Gilmour .15
Cammy Ballantyne .23
Michael O'Halloran .11
Eetu Vertainen .17
Callum Hendry .22
Stevie May .7

Cillian Sheridan for Jordan McGhee (75)
Luke McCowan for Max Anderson (81)
Michael O'Halloran for James Brown (45)
Stevie May for Glenn Middleton (65)
Charlie Gilmour for Ali Crawford (91)
Callum Hendry for Chris Kane (91)

None. Ali Crawford (46)
David Wotherspoon (72)

Red Cards
None. None.
Match Officials

Steve McLean (Referee)
Ross Macleod & Craig Ferguson (Assistants)
Euan Anderson (Fourth Official)

Match Report

Dundee went down 2-0 to St Johnstone at the Kilmac Stadium in the Premier Sports Cup quarter final. The Dee had the better of the game but after Shaun Rooney put Saints on 70 minutes there was no way back for the Dee and Ali Crawford added a late second.

The only change to Dundee’s starting eleven was Liam Fontaine retaining his place after coming on for the injured Ryan Sweeney on Sunday. Jason Cummings was unavailable through illness.

The game got off to a lively start with both teams chasing an early goal. Saints managed a couple of early crosses that kept the Dark Blues’ defence on their toes, but Dundee came closest to a breakthrough. Saints’ defence got in a mess at a corner when the ball bounced off Jamie McCart and Zander Clark had to paw it clear from under his crossbar.

Adam Legzdins tipped over a 25 yarder from David Wotherspoon before the Dee almost scored from a fast break. Leigh Griffiths’ cross was met by Jordan McGhee’s diving header but the ball flew straight at Clark and the keeper parried. Either side and it would have been a goal.

A slack pass by Shaun Rooney across the face of the Saints defence was picked up Griffiths who tried to catch Clark out with an instant shot that flew just past the post.

The Dee’s last chance of the half came when Cammy Kerr sprinted the length of the pitch to get on the end of Max Anderson’s cross but Clark saved again at the expense of a corner.

Saints might not have created any chances that were anywhere near as good as Dundee’s but their approach play always looked dangerous and the Dee defence did well to restrict their opportunities.

By far St Johnstone’s best chance of the first half came when Legzdins misjudged a long pass and was out of position when Glenn Middleton picked up possession wide on the right. Cammy Kerr blocked the cross and when the ball came back to Middleton he tried to score from an ambitious angle, missing by several yards.

Dundee flew at Saints from the start of the second half. Anderson’s burst through the middle was stopped by a cynical foul. Griffiths’ shot from the resulting free kick was parried by Clark into the path of McMullan but the winger shot against the keeper’s body.

The Dark Blues continued to dominate against a Saints team that couldn’t summon up the neat approach play of the first half. Frustratingly, Dundee could not find the inspiration to break through.

As has happened too often recently Dundee were made to pay for failing to take their chances. With 20 minutes to go St Johnstone took the lead from a scrappily defended corner. The ball broke to Shaun ROONEY six yards out and he spun to squeeze the ball over the line.

The goal turned the game emphatically in Saints’ favour. The visitors grew in confidence and composure, while Dundee never recovered from the setback.

The Dark Blues kept working hard and nagging away at the St Johnstone defence, but their efforts lacked conviction. Saints were far more comfortable after the goal and looked more likely to add a second on the break than concede an equaliser.

The second goal followed a run down the left by Callum Booth. Cammy Kerr misjudged his tackle and Booth’s cutback allowed Ali CRAWFORD to score from 15 yards with a shot that took a deflection past Legzdins.

This was the fourth successive match in which the Dee have failed to score, but as with the previous games the best chances fell to Dundee and the opposition keeper had to work harder than Adam Legzdins. The Dark Blues are creating good chances, but struggling to turn them into goals.

There were good performances throughout the team tonight, particularly in defence until the two sloppily conceded late goals. That was the story of the night. Dundee did well for long periods, but failed to follow it through and take the win that seemed to be within their grasp. They fell short when it mattered.

Match report written by James Christie - Official Dundee Website

Squad Statistics (as at September 22nd, 2021)

2021-22 All Time
Adam Legzdins (GK)34 11 - 27 -
Jordan Marshall24 8 - 631
Jordan McGhee25 10 - 627
Lee Ashcroft28 111448
Liam Fontaine35 8 - 324
Cammy Kerr26 6 - 1874
Max Anderson20 9 - 364
Paul McGowan33 11226320
Shaun Byrne28 9 - 70 -
Leigh Griffiths31 3 - 6533
Paul McMullan25 102302
Luke McCowan (sub)23 8181
Cillian Sheridan (sub)32 6 - 6 -

League Table (as at September 22nd, 2021)

Warning: array_multisort(): Argument #1 is expected to be an array or a sort flag in /home/customer/www/deearchive.co.uk/public_html/pstable.php on line 205
Pld W D L +/- Pts

* - Table split into two divisions of six.

Manager's Programme Notes

Good evening and welcome to Dens for tonight's Premier Sports Cup Quarter Final against St. Johnstone.

I'd like to start be welcoming Callum and his backroom staff along to the Kilmac Stadium for tonight's match.

We come into the match determined to get a result on the back of Sunday's match at Tannadice. We feel our play and chances created deserved so much more and it was a tough one to take.

We were well in the game and had enough chances to win two games, which is really frustrating.

We do not believe we should have lost that game. But we have and we need to move on. Tonight's match gives us the opportunity to do just that.

It's a massive game for the club this evening as we try and get back to Hampden for a Semi Final for the first time in 15 years.

That would help us move on from Sunday and get us back on track for other big games we have coming up.

We have power at the top end of the pitch to hurt teams, the performances have been good. We need to keep believing in what we are doing.

Performances have been good and it will need to be again tonight as we face a St. Johnstone side who have had so much joy in the cup competitions over the past 12 months.

I love the night games at Dens and know we will have another big crowd tonight roaring us on as we try and get that return to Hampden.